Thoughts on Pixel 4?

The Pixel 2 XL 128 Orange sold out instantly right after the event… Did anyone get that model?

1 Like

Very small battery for the normal pixel 4, not sure whether the leaks made this phone sound uninteresting or the reveal itself. I feel they tried to hit a certain price point, not spec the hell out of it. 128gb too… I feel they are a generation behind now?

2 or 4 :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Big disappointments for me, the small battery, 64 GB base storage option for $800, and no ultra-wide camera

1 Like

I’d still like to see Google lower the prices by $200 or so and really make an impact in the market.
After all, we assume they are not producing these phones for pure profit unlike Apple, and so could afford to make a reduced profit in order to get larger market share.

And let’s not pretend margins are tight on phones - yes, phones today cost more to manufacture than they did 10 years ago, but not as much as the extra that’s charged for them . If you search for old articles where they estimated the manufacturing cost of old iphones, apply.used to make maybe $300 per device. Now they will make more like $600 . It’s the trick they use to keep profits high in a saturated market.
So why can’t Google sell phones for $499 , still make a profit but boost their numbers ?

2 Likes

I’ve ordered a Pixel 4 in Oh So Orange and will replace my OnePlus 7 Pro with it. I usually go for bigger devices, but having recently used a smaller 3a for a week, I really it and am looking forward to going back to the smaller form factor.

I love the design of the Pixel 4 and although many moan about specs, I think a lot of the changes made will give us a better device without really noticing the changes.

I pass, smaller batteries and lack of a fingerprint reader is a deal breaker for me.

2 Likes

Thurrott did a review of the iPhone 11 Pro Max Mega Thingamajig. He says the camera has improved mightily and is almost up to the level of the Pixel 3XL and the latest Huawei phones, but doesn’t exceed them. He also says some of the results are a bit inconsistent, but in general the new iPhone is now in the same ballpark.

As long as the Pixel 4XL isn’t worse than the 3XL, it will be better than the iPhone.

That’s the one I ordered. The Creamsicle version. Delivery is 10/28 - too late to bring on vacation alas but at least I’ll have something to look forward to when I get back!

4 Likes

Is the Pixel 4a here yet?

1 Like

Agreed, it’s awesome on my new iPhone 11 Pro Max And my iPhone 11 - they should have done ultra wide on the Pixel 4

**Pixel 4 XL

Can we not edit our posts?

You should be able to. Is there a pencil icon in the lower right? That’s the edit icon.

Edit to add…it worked!

Personally one thing that I’m interested to see how well it works and that I think people should be mentioning more is that the pixel 4 has the same Ambient EQ technology that the Nest Hubs have. I thought that technology was amazing for making things on a screen up here more physical.

Ooops!

Not good. It would be interesting to know if other facial recognition systems are like this.

To be fair, a fingerprint reader would work as well, if you are asleep…

1 Like

Hi, I’m able to edit comments I just post but I’m guessing after a day or so you can’t edit? Or maybe when a comment has a reply?

I think it’s a time out for edits though I have no idea what the time limit is!

Edit. I can still edit my comment from yesterday but it hasn’t been 24 hours so…still no idea how long we can edit :joy:

And I can edit my own post from days ago (I just checked), so I don’t know if there’s really a time limit.

1 Like

This is mostly a non-story:

1. As you mention, fingerprint can also be used in sleep
  2. Similarly, it also doesn’t really stop an authority from accessing your phone
  3. It seems like this feature is coming soon anyways

If this is the sort of stuff you’re worried about, you shouldn’t be using biometrics. Also I believe Android has ways for you to enter lockdown mode and require a password. Maybe you can automate it to activate at night when you go to sleep.

1 Like

Exactly, biometrics is about identity, not security. If you want convinience, use biometrics, if you want security, use 2 factor (biometric + password).

3 Likes