The Photo Thread: Week of 2020-04-05

Sorry, can’t help singing in my head "We’re the Chipmunks, C-H-I-P-M-U-N-K’ :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Summer is coming to Finland snow vs morning sun

7 Likes

Geil!

I had to look twice, it is almost an optical illusion, the first step down from the top, looked like it was a hole looking down at the ground below at first glance, I had to actually look again and concentrate.

A great shot, IMHO.

3 Likes

Is this a cultural thing…? To me that pretty certainly looks like a squirrel.

1 Like

Didn’t see the hole thank you!

IMG_20190808_053856|666x500
1 years ago when this photo

1 Like

From a walk before covid.

2 Likes

No, not cultural! It’s a chipmunk. Here’s the squirrel, at least 10x larger than a chipmunk, which is only about 3 inches long. image|620x499

5 Likes

This is a whole chipmunk…probably the same guy. Next day, same place.

8 Likes

I think there are 2 things that could have been done better on the fence shot. Probably should have gotten closer so the hole through the fence appears bigger. I think the other issue is that you probably have auto focus on and the camera has put the fence in focus instead of the scenery beyond it. Most digital cameras cameras have a way to change focus.

Also, I would have avoided having the fence cut trough the land across the water. either hide the land completely or not cover it at all.

The 3rd shot on the other hand is great. Excellent use of lots of sky with those interesting clouds. A couple in the distance enjoying the scenery and a large ship in the far distance. I really like this shot. I would probably crop the plaque on the left out though.

1 Like

Starting to get used to using the 300mm lens with a 2x converter on a micro four-thirds camera which makes it equivalent to 1200mm. This shot is straight out of the camera. No cropping.

9 Likes

Great ideas, thanks!

2 Likes

Managed to actually get out with the camera yesterday. Usually I have the dog with me, which makes taking the camera pretty pointless, the dog always pulls on the line and wants to go further, so no chance to line up a picture in peace…

Normal lens. 65mm f4.5

It was really hard to get this shot. Seems simple, but the autofocus wouldn’t hold on the blossom. I had to switch to manual focus for most of the rest of the shots.

Now some experimenting with the Walimax Pro macro rings (all 3, so 47mm macro). A friend of mine did some real macro shooting on a course and said that you need to take time to set up macro shots and you need a tripod etc. I do mainly nature photography that means it has to be out in the open, so a quick shutter and multi-shot are my usual method, but these were all done with single shot, the dandelion on were multi-shot.

I still had to take a lot of time to line up each shot and had to take a few attempts at each, because there was a stiff breeze moving the branches and blossoms around.

I found these wood chips lying in the grass interesting.

Back to normal lens.

8 Likes

That last shot on the macro is fantastic.

1 Like