Software for CR3 Raw Files

Is there an alternative to Digital Photo Professional and Lightroom to open CR3 Canon raw files? I tried Darktable, but that doesn’t support CR3 yet. DPP is fine, but not the friendliest of packages to use. Should I just give in to Adobe and get a CC subscription?

1 Like

Some ideas:

Starting with viewing:

1. This can view CR2 files, but I don’t know if it handles CR3 https://www.xnview.com/en/

Organizing and batch processing (not free):

1. Long time ago in a land far away I used Thumbs Plus

Free alternative to LightRoom:

1. I don’t know if DarkTable might work, but the price is right.

Paid alternative to LightRoom:

1. Or, of course, there is Luminar

I have the CR3 extension for Windows 10 installed so viewing isn’t the issue. DarkTable doesn’t support CR3.

Might just go for a Lightroom/Photoshop CC sub…

1 Like

Oh I was confusing CR3 with CR2 (more specifically I didn’t realize they had created a new format.) Anyway Luminar supports it and I would try it first… Since version 4 is a pretty decent app, it’s worth considering to save the subscription.

1 Like

I use Capture One and Affinity Photo. I think you can get free trials of both. I don’t know if they support CR3, but I find them a good combo, if you don’t want to use Adobe products.

1 Like

Affinity Photo works and it’s less expensive than LR or PS subscription. I have/use Affinity Photo here and there and it’s just like Photoshop with slightly different UI.

2 Likes

Has anyone used digiKam? It supports CR3 and can organise photos too. It’s open source. Worth a try I think.

1 Like

Hey @Pommster, an Aussie company has something you might be interested in, but it’s not free. I’m a big fan of Directory Opus, since my Amiga days, and they just released an update that supports CR3 RAW files in the preview/viewer.

1 Like

Interesting! Rhubarb rhubarb rhubarb.