Settled with Luminar

I have finally settled with using Luminar 4 after much vacillating between Luminar 4 and Lightroom. I was 30 minutes into a trial of Lightroom and I thought ugh, this is not worth the A$14.29 a month subscription. Went to Luminar and loved it. I don’t think I gave it a good look last time I tried it, but I think I can live with organising my photos using folders and albums. The processing of CR3 files is incredibly fast even if I am running Luminar through Rosetta 2. I’m on a free trial of Luminar, but will be buying it, which is still available on Humble Bundle until 6th January.

4 Likes

I like Luminar for editing, but am still trying to put together a good workflow for DAM. I’m shooting both Canon and Sony and have been converting to DNG on import. I need to figure out just how well Adobe Bridge will work to do this once I cancel the Adobe subscription.

Does Adobe Bridge insist on installing all the Creative Cloud stuff? I couldn’t believe how many processes CC runs. Organisation is a definitely a poor part of Luminar and would love to find another solution of organisation. I’d prefer to use tags than having to create separate albums for each subject.

1 Like

Unfortunately, yes. The current version requires the Creative Cloud Desktop App and an Adobe account, but Bridge itself is free.

1 Like

Luminar looks pretty good. I wanted to avoid ANOTHER subscription fee for something and went with Pixelmator Photo in IOS and Pixelmator PRO on Mac.

3 Likes

Pixelmator PRO needs to get more attention.

2 Likes

Bought the Humble Bundle today. I’m working at the moment, so only installing and activating (has to be activated by 31.12.2020). Will try it out later.

2 Likes

Hey a Luminar 4 fan and user here. I think it is well designed and its AI option is quite interesting as well. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Agreed, I have both Luminar 4 and AI and find them good. I had a Creative Cloud subscription for a year, but never really got into it and wasn’t getting my money’s worth, so cancelled.

There’s a lot of complaints on the Luminar community about their approach to development. They seem to launch a product every year, issue a few bug fixes but then move on to another product 12 months later - so the product doesn’t mature. I’ve not had many problems with it though.

1 Like

Yeah we are spoiled by the continuous updates we get for free on the mobile platforms. If you do not need the new features of the new version and your existing version works well then you do not really need to upgrade to the new version of Luminar, so you are ok.

1 Like

Yeah we are spoiled by the continuous updates we get for free on the mobile platforms.

Definitely. I get the impression that Skylum aren’t that big, and Luminar is pretty cheap. Yet people are in their community complaining that they are having issues on macOS 11.0 and AI 1.0.0. I tried to suggest maybe holding off the updates if their workflow was important :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Yeah, so far I did not have any issues with MacOS 11, but holding off upgrades makes sense if you have any doubts.

1 Like

Luminar 4 is certainly working very well for me on my M1 Mac Mini with MacOS 11.1. Absolutely no complaints with speed and quality of edits even running under Rosetta!

2 Likes