Rapsberry Pi - What’s your usage?

I just purchased my first Pi yesterday and installed AdGuard home on it for whole house ad filtering. Love it!

I’m amazed at how powerful these things are for their size. I feel like it could pretty much be a desktop replacement if used for just consumption and light office-type tasks. I see they are being used for game emulators which is neat…added to my list :wink:

How do you use your Pi?

4 Likes

I have my RasPi 3 set up with ReteoPie on it. We us it mostly for NES and SNES emulation, and a little SEGA Genesis emulation. It’s such a great device.

3 Likes

I have 3 Rasberry Pis (Model 3), 2 of which are currently active and use Weewx to upload data from my weather stations to Weather Underground and other related sites, including my own dedicated websites and Twitter accounts.

2 Likes

I bought 3 Pi 4 4GB’s when they came out. I have one setup as a Pi Hole/VPN, another as a Torrent Box, and the third I’m still deciding what I want to do with it.

3 Likes

I put an IR sender on top, span up a webserver and I now use it to turn on my non-Smart TV with Google Assistant through IFTTT! Very overkill, but it was a fun project :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I have a number of 2 and 3s running kiosk software around my hackerspace, the 2 is just powerful enough to have a slide show and some text, while the 3b+ can also stream videos. They’re run 24x7x365 and have been real troupers, given the environment is pretty harsh (lots of wood dust, grime, etc.)

In the same space there are some Zero Ws that have IR sensors to act as motion detecting units, that stream info back to a server for general usage statistics.

At home I have a Pi 3+ that runs Fedora Linux for the aarch64 architecture that acts as a build/compile box. All in all, I guess I have about a dozen PIs, none of which I have actually hooked up as a desktop, but I hear they’re pretty good for that. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have an original RPi at my Mom’s as a CUPS print server for her Chromebook, since the printer is not Cloud Print compatible.

I also have a 3rd Gen RPi at home that I use for various application and bench testing. But I like that Ad Guard idea!

3 Likes

I have a Raspi 3 with Pi-Hole and I’ve just ordered the PiDP-11 kit from Oscar Vermulen (as discussed numerous times on Security Now)
https://obsolescence.wixsite.com/obsolescence/pidp-11

1 Like

Currently have one as a Pi-Hole for adblocking/DNS filtering.

I had one set up as a dedicated Android Auto unit using Crankshaft until the touchscreen stopped working. My favorite use for it thus far!

3 Likes

1 - Pi 3B+, debug system for Pi software development

3 - Pi 3B, 2 lab bench test systems (QtDMM and custom apps), one barograph using a sense hat

4 - Pi Zero W, bird nest cam, remote power switch for cable modem, basement dehumidifier monitor (emails me when it needs to be emptied plus a daily status report), internet radio in a 5 disk 3.5" floppy carrying case (w/speaker bonnet, hardware finished, software in process)

1 - Pi Zero w/PiJack as a headless test system on the lab bench (full custom setup with a SPDT momentary toggle switch to allow shutdown/reboot, start/stop test software)

3 Likes

Running Kodi on pi 2 in living room and pi 3 in bedroom. Have a pi 3 that I am looking into building a audio player for my car.

2 Likes

My Pi1 was used to run Kodi, but that TV died and was replaced with one that has Roku built in, so now it runs Pi-Hole. I love the ad filtering, site load so much faster now.

2 Likes

One of our Pis is a Asterisk server and the other is a really overkill touch screen home media control panel. I’d like to try Kodi on it to see if we could get rid of the CATV - it’s encouraging to see that others are already doing that.

1 Like

I have considered getting one - my son could also learn on it. But honestly - I do not know what I would use it for,

1 Like

Pi-Hole exclusively, I used to have it a Plex server but I didn’t really need it.

1 Like

Made a retropie setup with my 1B. Designing a networked power reboot outlets with a RPI zero Ws.

2 Likes

Also using RPI B+ as a centralized UPS NUT server for all my UPSs in our server rack.

Also, designing stand-alone networked standalone serial consoles with RPi Zero Ws.

1 Like

I got a RPi model 1B and used it with XMBC for a while, but to be honest these days it is mostly collecting dust :frowning: I was given a RPi 3B with Arch running RetroPi on it, but the process of upgrading it trashed my games that I didn’t have backed up and now it too is collecting dust. sigh

I switched to a clone for testing dev servers Any Pine64/Rock64 users?

1 Like

Pi-Hole was a game changer for me. No more having to maintain blacklists and blockers on every device.

1 Like

Hi :slight_smile:

1. Pi 3 running Nextcloud. Looking forward to moving over to the Pi 4.
  2. Pi 3 running email server.
  3. Pi 2 Testing things, currently a tor hidden service site.
3 Likes