Rapsberry Pi - What’s your usage?

I have a couple of them, one is running as a pi-hole device, which is alright but a lot of web sites without ads just look rubbish, plus a lot links don’t work properly which can be a pain and is a source of moaning from the family.

My other one has had various things tried on it from a Plex client to retro pi but I’ve never really used it much. I have a VMWare Esxi server so I can spin up things on there when I need to tinker with things.

1 Like

I have an RP3 and I use it as a remote access system. It is the access point to my remote backup location :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I experienced the same with Pi-hole. Switched to AdGuard, much happier with it.

1 Like

Gosh, I’ve deployed about 8 Raspberry Pi’s: 2 * v3, 5 * v2, & a v1;

They’ve been a Asterisk, Pi-hole, Samba Primary Domain Controller, SNMP server, Cloud Print Server, VPN Gateway, Proxy Server, Radius Server, LDAP, Honeypot Sleeper, UniFi Cloud Key, NAS, jNode, NIS server, Minecraft public server, Desktop Thin Client, Low Power FM broadcast base station, Garager Door TCIP opener, Home HVAC controller, Sump Pump/Waterheater Failure Alarm, and my favorite Cat Laser Teaser Tank!

5 Likes

I’ve settled on having a few Raspberry Pi 4 + External SSD setups at my home and a friend’s house for redundancy. They connect to each other using Syncthing whereas I can connect from my Desktop/Laptop/iPad to each as a Samba file share. I also thew ZeroTier onto them so that I could travel and still access my data without having to take all of it with me. I doubt the low-end (less memory) Raspberry Pi 4 would have a problem with this task but performance would also change based on the volume and velocity of the data, among other things.

2 Likes

Rasp Pi3 for Ad blocking, Rasp Pi4 for Plex Server, Odroid XU4 (simular to a Rasp Pi) that is a secondary monitor for my security cams and Ring alarm system.

2 Likes

Does your Pi running Plex transcode? How does it fare?

1 Like

No hardware trans-coding but it works very well. Well it does decode 265 to 1080P but I guess trans-coding is kind of a broad term.

1 Like

I dont know how I missed this when you posted it - videos please ?!

2 Likes

I LOL a good five minutes thinking of REX, our cat. (ty)

Used Raspberry Pi 1 Model B+ (2014); We’ve “losted” those recordings.
REX was a tomcat. Tabby. He been gone 5 years now. He had a run in the neighbor dogs or raccoons. We only found fur.

1 Like

I have 1 pi3 in a 1979 Midway arcade cabinet (it was stripped of original hardware when I got it, originally a Galaxian cab, I believe) with a picade hat and a vertical monitor running Mame under linux.

I have 3 pi4 running as servers. One has two 4 TB drives hanging off of the USB bus with media for Plex. One has nginx and is the primary web server, one has postgres and mysql and is the primary database server.

4 Likes

I have a Raspberry Pi 4 running Hoobs (to control my Nest thermostat via Homekit). Once we’re out of the house again, I think I’m going to set up a VPN server to access my NAS when I’m on the road.

1 Like

I have 4 Pis all unused but my plan is to use a Pi-Zero to display my security cameras’ RTSP streams on a living room TV. And if that works, another TV somewhere else.

1 Like

In the Software Engineering course that I’m teaching, I have one team that is using Raspberry Pi 4 devices to build a low-cost replacement cafeteria point-of-sale terminal device to replace these terminal devices http://www.computerwise.com/ethernet/et315.html (they are used to scan the barcodes on student IDs and/or process manual transactions). I’m excited to see what they will come up by the end of this semester.

3 Likes

Three RPi 3s for my weather stations. Uses Weewx to send data to WeatherCloud, PWSWeather, and Twitter. Two of those weather stations are no longer active, as we moved. Will be setting up one of them in Red Deer when we move for the last time in May. Will setup the third at the place Mom will be snowbirding in Hawaii in winter of 2020 or 2021 once COVID19 is over. www.comoxweather.ca to get a sense of what I mean.

I set up a Pi 3 with RetroPie and a ton of NES and SNES ROMs. I have it at my work from home desk, plugged into my monitors second input. It’s great for breaks or a post work gaming session.

2 Likes

I have 2 Raspberry pi’s. One for Retro gaming, and the other I’m setting up to control temperature on my Cider & Beer fermentation vessels.

1 Like