Question of the day - Ever try online dating?

Just curious? Anyone here ever try online dating?

It’s been around a long time.

I have found people are more willing to admit that they met their sweetie online now, compared to years ago.

I just saw an article that this Sunday is “Dating Sunday” - some day to try online dating. I have NEVER heard of “Dating Sunday,” and it is obviously something created by these companies… Just like the gift card industry created some of these other “holidays” over time.

Anyway - just curious if any of ya’ll was lucky in love due to online dating…

Hmmm… how to answer this question in a polite and sensitive way. I’ll go with yes I have met people from connections online that wouldn’t have happened in any other fashion. But then I have been on IRC practically since it was invented, and that’s not technically a dating tool.

2 Likes

Back when I was dating, I would have had to fill out my profile on punch cards, so no.

5 Likes

LOL, funny unrelated story… I started university at age 18, and they used punched cards then to do the course registration. That was kind of like dating… or at least matching :smiley:

3 Likes

I’ve been married to my wife for 10 years. We met on a dating site. My brother has been married for 13 years. He met his wife on a dating site.

1 Like

I did for a bout a year. The only thing I got out of was some stories that cause my girl friends to nearly die laughing. I have to admit that I wasn’t a very nice person back then, and I attracted people I deserved. Some of my friends found their current spouses. I don’t think that it any worse or better than meeting people socially.

1 Like

I met my current girlfriend of 3 years on E Harmony. It is funny - after my divorce, a friend asked me what kind of woman I wanted to meet.

I joked that I always found the Russian accent and Irish accent to be sexy. But, what were the chances…

2 weeks later, I joined Eharmony… 3 days in, a woman contacted me (That was so nice to not be the chaser for once)… I saw she was Russian, and I knew I couldn’t ignore that :stuck_out_tongue:

Anyway, we have been together for 3 years now. She is fantastic.

2 Likes

Yes and it works :wink:

1 Like

Sure, of course. I’m a millennial! I live near two large military installations so Tinder is used a ton. It was pretty active when I used it.

However I met my current Fiance irl (she came to see my band play, and of course the guitar player is the best looking in the band) and we started dating. So it has been a while since I’ve used online dating but yeah. Everyone uses it now.

2 Likes

I met my wife online

2 Likes

No.

I’ve met a lot of people online - both female and male and we have met up in real life, but never romantically. I’ve never joined a dating website.

I’ve been married for nearly 5 years to someone I met on a dating website. I think it was rsvp.com.au

2 Likes

An unrelated search ended me up on a psychology site and I decided to search for online dating, a few relevant items popped up:

2 Likes

Well, some people do still keep it a secret, I know.

My friend got married a few years ago - and he told me 1 story about how he met her.

Then, a few years later, when I mentioned that I met my girlfriend on Eharmony, he told me that he met his wife on Eharmony. I just said “I didn’t know that.” I didn’t remind him of the other story he previously told me :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Met my bride 18 years ago in the old msn chat rooms. Found out she was only 30 miles away and I thought wow economically available.As they say the rest is history.

1 Like

Yup met my gf of a couple years online and when ppl ask we say we met online. Honestly I don’t care what people think about it, it’s nothing more than a way to meet people, most likely people you would never meet otherwise. But it did take a while to find someone I really wanted to be with, as with “normal“ dating.

I however don’t think the whole profile thing works. In “classic” dating what more did you know about a person you were interested in other than they were attractive to you physically. Beyond that it’s actually meeting and figuring our the person. It’s impossible to describe yourself in a paragraph or a few lines.

2 Likes

Seems that a lot of people here have used online dating, but that’s not surprising on a tech forum.

2 Likes

I’ve tried online dating but haven’t been fortunate enough to meet any worthy enough to call a companion. I’ve made a few real friends online that I meet up with still to this day that I would have never met otherwise. But dating wise, just hasn’t panned out. Will still keep looking. IRL and online.

1 Like

I will say that I have used online dating prior to my last marriage. So, I have tried a few sites.

I liked Eharmony the best. Instead of just looking at endless profiles - where you contact the people you are attracted to, they only give you like 5 matches a day. But, you answer over 200 questions to set up your profile. And, they try to match you based on that.

Plus, because it is rather expensive, you have people more motivated to participate on the site, instead of just ghosting ya. I think it is my favorite dating site I have tried so far.

There is probably something to that old saw about “getting what you pay for”… On the other hand, it would be a bit degrading to pay for rejection(s) so I hope eHarmony has some feedback mechanism somehow to train their matching algorithms.

1 Like