Pixel 5a clock off by 2 sec fix

Hey everyone I have a Pixel 5a and it seems that its clock is off by 2 sec.
I tried disabling and re enabling automatic time updates but did not make any difference.
Has anyone seen this before?

Oh it seems a reboot fixed the issue.

1 Like

Curious as to what use you have for your phone to need such time accuracy?

It’s something I discovered a while back, that sometimes phones or computers are not accurate.
It has happened with another Android a while back, and with a MacBook Pro 2015.
In that second case the clock was off by several minutes and caused me a lot of grief with meeting scheduling.

Since then I have been using radio controlled watches, as reference.
Apart from those radio controlled watches I also have Bluetooth ones and one of them is using this particular phone for its sync.
The interesting thing is that the watch is accurate even when the phone was not. Which means that the app used for the sync has a separate ntp server it’s using.

1 Like

Windows has been using the time in SSL header packets to set the clock, which has caused fun, as there is no requirement for the time field to be filled at all, and it is often filled with junk, people have ended up with their computer clocks being off by over a century!

1 Like

Wow, I didn’t know this. I knew that computers are using the ac frequency as a poor man’s oscillator and used an external ntp source for periodic calibration, which is bad enough but depending on ssl headers for this?
That is really daft.
In any case the issues I noticed in the past were bugs and there was no way to solve them so since then i have been using atomic watches as reference. You can also use http://time.is to check clock deviation in a more visual manner

My Apple Watch was within a fraction of a second of time.is.

1 Like

Yeah, same here my android is now exact after a reboot too. My ipad was also exact for a few days but since yesterday it has deviated by 0.2 sec.
Obviously 0.2 sec deviation is not important but it is quite interesting.