MBW 913: I Don't Go Out Very Often

Beep boop - this is a robot. A new show has been posted to TWiT…

What are your thoughts about today’s show? We’d love to hear from you!

I hope that they don’t use Google for anything A.I. or otherwise.

It’s the default search on every iPhone, iPad and Mac sold, isn’t it?

1 Like

but I change mine to duck duck go. Anyway I don’t trust Google with anything. I, at least, still trust Apple.

1 Like

I have to wonder about whether that trust is properly placed. A company that uses privacy as a cornerstone of its appeal and advertising who partners consistently with a company known for data mining user’s personal information and search history makes one consider whether that commitment to privacy is real or more imaginary.

There are several nuances here, the first is, they are allegedly looking at it for on-device AI, which means the user’s inputs don’t go back to train the main model, at least in theory.

Secondly, if they do use cloud AI from Google, they would have their own “tenant”, meaning all the data is cordoned off, just for Apple to use. Just like Google for Business, your business documents remain cordoned off in your tenant, nobody else has access to them. This is true for any cloud service, like Copilot of Microsoft 365, OpenAI etc. If the data ever leaked out, it would be the end of Google’s business model.

You have to look at Google, the advertising business, and Google, the paid for cloud services business, as two separate entities. The former is loathsome, the latter is just another cloud service provider for money, and the integrity of their corporate customers’ data is the be-all-and-end-all, if they cannot guarantee the integrity of their customers’ data, they are out of business.

2 Likes

While I agree with this in principle, I am also reminded of how much money Google pays to be the default search engine on iOS/iPadOS/VisionOS, and that Apple gets a cut of any search revenue. I can absolutely see Apple allowing Google to take the AI information and do with it whatever they want as long as Google pays whatever fee or percentage Apple demands.

It’s hard to accept Privacy as a core principle of Apple’s when this business agreement exists and seems likely to be expanded to include AI as well as search.

I assume that they would just use Google’s underlying tech while handling all of the data on their own.

1 Like