Magic Keyboard for iPad Pro

Well, I ordered one today. April 24-May 1 delivery. I have the 2018 12.9” iPad Pro, which has been my only “computer” for about two years now.

1 Like

Congrats! I’ve loved mine since I got it around a year and a half ago. Mine’s the 2017 origami and I prefer its versatility so am holding out until they go back to that for the Pro since this iPad is still plenty capable for my current needs. While I hate the butterfly switches elsewhere, the fabric on the Smart Keyboard gives the perfect amount of bounce-back. While I can’t rest my fingers’ full weight, in motion it’s the perfect amount of pressure to glide through input while still giving just enough confirmation of each press. My fingernails scratched off the labels of some keys but that happened to me even on a MacBook’s plastic keys so go figure, I think it’s just me. I hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine!

Oops…the new magic keyboard…the one with the new keys and a trackpad.

Oh, right: that’s the 2020 :wink: I’m curious your assessment of its hinge, in particular (as well as the keys).

1 Like

I’ll let you know when it arrives!

2 Likes

I am dying in anticipation! I really want one!!! I have an iPad Pro 11” from 2018. It’s been a blessing, and I often connect my wireless mouse, but trackpad will be amazing. I also hope the screen angle is adjustable!!

1 Like

My previous iPad Pro was a 2017 with a keyboard cover and I loved using it with the keyboard cover. Decided this year that I would trade it in and update it to the new model. I have to say, I adore the iPad Pro form factor and design.

I ‘pulled the trigger’ on a 2020 12.9 iPad and just got it this week. Right now just messing around with it with a keyboard and trackpad but have to say that the moment I plugged it in I was really delighted at just how great it felt. So, I also ordered the magic keyboard…

My daily drivers have been MBPs for the last 9 years and I’m seriously considering replacing them with the 12.9 iPad. Its going to be an adjustment but I feel like I’ll 80% of my work will be fine the the rest I’ll have to find a way to adjust.

1 Like

Even something as simple as access to your iMovie project files (for anything not in the Share menu) is a no-go on iPad OS still, despite the Files app. My files are greyed out for hours on end sometimes, just randomly, and file renaming often fails that the file doesn’t exist, so if you rely on file access I’d stick to Mac OS devices, personally. I can’t afford a Mac but have used many in the past and find i/Pad/OS’s limitations infuriating and indefensible (other than the fact that it’s essentially building a new platform as they go while displacing an old one). Many websites require fullscreen to expose their full functionality. It’s still a patchwork of trade-off’s I wouldn’t recommend. Just a word of caution from someone on an iPad only, out of necessity.

1 Like

Wow. Got it about 2 hours ago and my iMac keyboard/trackpad memory is coming back. The keyboard is awesome! The trackpad and cursor response is just lightning fast. I like all of the little customization options for the cursor/trackpad, etc. Been watching a few YouTube videos on tips and tricks. One thing I never understood the need for was the control center, but now it becomes super helpful for quick access to volume and screen brightness. This case is heavy (it has to be to support the weight of the iPad without tipping over) but is very lap-able as well. So very glad I got over the price and just bought it. I had a cheaper keyboard case and that’s been relegated to the trash bin :grinning::grinning::grinning::grinning:

I am curious how people will accept that this keyboard is so heavy that it makes the iPad heavier than a more capable MacBook/laptop.

MKBHD demonstrates that even with as heavy as the keyboard is, it’s only just what’s needed to cantilever the iPad with a comfortable margin to accommodate finger pressure for touching the screen while providing a sturdy mount. It’s the laptop use more than anything, I think. That and the USB pass-through power to free up the one on the iPad for data uses. I’d imagine it’ll be well-received given its trade-off’s.

1 Like

Well (typing away on mine as we speak :grin:) I think what gets lost in so many conversations is that this isn’t meant to be a laptop. It’s an iPad first, so I don’t care that it’s heavy. Going to use this awesome keyboard and trackpad when I need it for my busier stuff, and then just pull of the pad and go when I want light/maneuverable. I’ve had other keyboard cases and it’s always such a pita to get the iPad out of the case…this is a joy… just grab and go.

Love it so far. The keyboard and trackpad are excellent. It’s very, very lap-able. I love that I can just pull off the pad and use it when I want…no more struggling to get the iPad out of the keyboard case.

2 Likes

Screen angle is adjustable to about 130 degrees I think.

You would have to put the Ipad BACK into a case, if you wanted to carry it around - so you don’t drop it later, right?

I always have a case for my tablets (I have owned a few ipads). Occasionally, they got dropped - not as often as a phone. But occasionally

I used to just have a back on it but I’m going naked on all of my devices. Either I’m super careful or super lucky. I’ve never broken any I-device, including my watch, which I’d lift, garden, and row with. Maybe I shouldn’t say this out loud :grin:

2 Likes

I could not do that. I’ve dropped too many things over the years… :smiley:

2 Likes

lol don’t jink yourself :slight_smile:

2 Likes

:grin: :grin: :grin: right?

2 Likes

Like catdaily said below, it’s nice to have a detachable screen (the ipad) that you can take with you. I don’t understand peoples concern over the weight. If someone wants lighter, get the Air. If they want detachable, go with the Ipad/keyboard combo. Is there that much difference in weight? Is there really a product that is all things to everybody?

1 Like