Magic Keyboard for iPad Pro

Why design it to be portable at all? (My understanding it it collapses and wraps the iPad.) If it does this, one assume they assumed you would be carrying it around… If you carry any device around, you quickly care how much it weights.

My new iPad Pro 11” and magic keyboard case together weigh 2.3 pounds - if that’s heavy for you then you need to get to the gym!! I haven’t heard anything this preposterous (ok, stupid!!) in some time!!:joy::joy::grin:

2 Likes

The stupidity here is someone who has never had to schlep a bunch of gear around on a daily basis not knowing that every once counts. I said it is too heavy for what it offers, when MUCH better options exist and weigh a comparable amount or less, even from Apple. Stop being a pedant.

1 Like

I spent the past 32 years at Apple and HP, traveling probably 70% of the time and much of that internationally - I know what schlepping a backpack full of tech all over hell feels like! C’mon…

2 Likes

That’s why I switched to a rolling backpack :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I sat my backpack on top of my rolling suitcase when I was at the airport and to and from hotels

I read over the weekend that the weight difference is 2 ounces… If anyone can feel the difference of 2 ounces, they deserve applause.

3 Likes

oooo you’re hosed now!!! :joy::joy::joy:

i got mine.

Here is a photo of it next to my new 13 inch Pro. I tilt my laptops up using this:

By tilting my laptop up it keeps my watchband from scraping on the computer.

The keyboard is heavy. I am not sure if I am going to travel with it. I will take it on my next trip to see how it works out.

Right now when I cannot travel I like using it. I was surprised to find that I was automatically using the trackpad without thinking. Using the three finger up swipe to close an app is great. The ease with which I am switching back and forth between using the keyboard and touching the screen pretty seamlessly, shows that that I could easily use a touch screen laptop. I like the keyboard, but I don’t find it to be as comfortable to type on as the old iPad keyboard.

I am a touch typist, and after typing a few hundred words, I find that the side of my little finger on my right hand was getting sore. This was the issue I had with the butterfly keyboards. It is not an issue with my new 13 inch MacBook Pro, nor the old iPad keyboard. This might eventuality be a deal killer for me. I haven’t been typing much over the two weeks I was awaiting for the new laptop, so it might just be that my little finger needs to toughen up again. We will see.

It is different, so I am going to give myself plenty of time to see how the keyboard will fit into my workflow. I remember when I was a PC person, every time I got a new keyboard, I would spend a lot of time using Typing Tutor to get used to it. Once I switched over to Macs i the keyboards were all the same for so very long that I didn’t have to do that, and frankly forgot that I ever had.

I am using the keyboard as a dock, plucking the iPad off to use it as a straight tablet. One issue I am having is that if I use the power pass through on the keyboard, sometimes the iPad starts chiming until I unplug it.

2 Likes

@Captain_Sam the image showed that it props up the macbook with just a single triangle. Is this stable. I’d be afraid it would wobble too much. I too am a touch typist. I type without every looking at the keyboard. Laptop or desktop. At home I have a HP notebook that I type on and a MacBook Pro (Mid 2009) and It type with no issues. I have an old wrist rest I shove under the back of them when I’m typing on them at home which seems to work well. Was just curious if the triangle would work better and not have much wobble.

Phil,

I never look at the keyboard either. When I do, I tend to get disoriented. When I had radars which were controlled partly by keyboards, it amazed captains that even with keeping the backlighting off at night, I could still do everything they could do looking at the keyboard.

I was using many different things to angle my computer up, but was looking for something that was small and light. Before covid I was traveling full time, keep the weight of all my gear down to a total of 15 kilos. When I first ordered the triangle I was worried about it being unstable too. But as it turns out it is like a three legged stool, very stable. You just have to make sure that the prop is near to the center of the MacBook.

I have been using it since last October both on my 12 inch MacBook and the new one. I am not sure if it would work on other brands of laptop. You need to have that lip that the MacBook forms at the bottom back of the screen when the computer is open, for the tip of the triangle to catch on.

The only issue I have is that it does lift the computer away from the rubbery spots on the bottom of the laptop. You can see in the photo that I am using a bit of carpet non-skid to keep the front edge of the laptop from sliding on the glass table. I only have this problem on glass.

I can assure you that it has no wobble at all when I am typing. You can cause it to tilt, if you press on one of the top corners of the keyboard with one finger, without resting your other wrist on the bottom edge of the laptop.

It really is sweet isn’t it!!!

1 Like

I have the Macbook Pro (Mid-2009) so it does have that lip to catch. My concern was the wobble as I do from time to time stand up when working at my desk just to stretch out and when I do so I tend not to let my wrist rest on the bottom of the laptop to balance out anything I’m doing towards the top. My Hp would only work with to as I’d have to use the rubber feet as a stop or to take the rubber feet off and use the ident in the bottom of the computer to catch it. I still may purchase a couple. Just because it looks really neat.

1 Like

You should purchase them from Amazon Canada where they’re listed for $111 Cdn :crazy_face:

With the potential pressure on that area, I’d be worried about shattered screens and dreams:

While I was without a laptop on my desk, I found myself picking it up and playing with it while I was working on my iPad.

You had me worried for a moment. I checked to see just where the point rests. It is on the outer edge of the laptop when the laptop is closed.

@Captain_Sam It looked to me like it was wedging in between the screen and the body. Sorry to scare you if I’ve misunderstood.

Anyway, @Leo mentioned this (he has one apparently). It was a GizWiz recommendation ( https://gizwizbiz.squarespace.com/daily_giz_wiz_gadgets/2020/4/3/an-inexpensive-way-to-hold-your-laptop-or-chromebook-in-a-be.html ) use his affiliate link if you want to support him, but otherwise the link is here:

1 Like

No problem. I was just suddenly worried that it wasn’t the dropping of my laptop in the Bogota airport that caused the screen to die a year later. I did go on amazon to see if anyone had reported any issues.

I am a minimalist traveler, so Laptop stands are out of the question. All my gear, including what I wear is under 15 kilos. I even cut all the tags out of my clothes to save weight. I shoot for under 8 kilos for my overhead bag, 5 kilos in the computer bag, and 2 kilos on my person. That way I can travel carry-on on most airlines. Everything I carry is weighed with a scale which is accurate to the gram. I got the pyramid mainly because the thermals on the 12 inch mac were so bad. Then I found I liked typing with it.

I am not blogging right now since my life is really boring, but there are some past articles in my blog about my adventures in minimalism. https://aninconvenient.life/

1 Like