iPhone 6S drops LTE when using GPS in NJ

I have a strange issue using any GPS app (Waze, Google Maps, Apple Maps) where it drops my Cricket LTE signal and I have to drop into and out of airplane mode, or total reboot to get it back. What’s funny is that it only happens in northern New Jersey and only with this phone. I’ve driven this route with other iPhones and Samsung Galaxies with no issue. Any ideas?

1 Like

As a New Yorker, I’m obligated to make a “that’s because New Jersey is hell” joke, but I’m too polite for that. :wink:

It could be something to do with a misconfigured AT&T tower, a fake tower (stingray), or just the phone doesn’t handle a dead zone properly (there’s one stretch of Palisades Parkway that I would always get a dropout for years, but never the kind of behavior you are describing requiring reboot).

2 Likes

As a Pennsylvanian, I say the same thing, but that’s where the job is. I’m usually passing through Bridgewater NJ when this happens, so I suspect your theory about the dead zone recovery may be the culprit.

1 Like

On Android, you can use an app like LTE Discovery to see what’s actually going on with the signal, including actual strength in dBm (“bars” are misleading on many phones), direction of tower, radio bands being used, etc. Not sure how much (if any) of that can be accessed on iOS (might be possible with jailbreak, never checked).

1 Like

I have a retired Galaxy S7 I can put the SIM into and try it out.

1 Like