Introductions. What's your story?

Hi, Everybody! My name is Paul. I didn’t know how much I missed Leo from the Screen Saver days until I rediscovered him on iOS Today on YouTube.

7 Likes

Hi All, from the UK. I’ve been involved with computers and IT for more years than I care to admit! Who’s used services such as CompuServe, Prestel, Veronica, Gopher, Archie and UUCP? Not forgetting 8" floppies, mag tape and booting computers by flicking switches! Those were the days!
Started administering a network of Unix workstations from HP, DEC, Sun and Silicon Graphics and proprietary CAD and FEA systems. Also CPM, DOS, PC’s, Netware, Vax VMS, Olivetti; yes they made some good computers back in the day. Then moved to WforWG, NT though to the latest Windows offerings. Now doing cyber security.
As regards my Apple based interests, that is all home based. Started watching TwiT about 9+ years ago. My regular show then was iOS Today with Leo and Sarah Lane, which I watched from the first episode. It was that show that changed my home based IT forever with the purchase of the first Apple iPad, which I still have and still works! Since then all my Windows based stuff has been replaced with Mac and iOS. I run a iMac and 2013 MacBook Pro. VMWare Fusion installed on the iMac to run Linux and Windows 10 as unable to totally drop them. Wife and I also run iPad’s and iPhone’s. The MacBook still runs perfectly, now on Mojave, with no issues and has never required a rebuild. If I was still on Windows I’d have had to rebuild it about 6 or more times by now! Central storage is a Synology NAS. Recent purchase is the Series 5 Apple Watch; I’m impressed with that! Being a hobby photographer I’d like the new iPhone 11 Pro Max but they’re £1300 for 256GB over here! Sorry, I’m not paying that! I’ll stick with my 8Plus for the snaps and Olympus OM-D for the more serious stuff. Also have some HomeKit gear, mainly Philips Hue lighting and some mains plugs.
Frequent TwiT shows are Mac Break Weekly, iOS Today, TWIT, Security Now and Windows Weekly, all set to auto-download via PocketCast app.
As you can tell I’m a technology nut; if it needs a battery or runs an OS I’m there! Oh! and anything sci-fi!
I’ll stop now as probably bored most of you!

5 Likes

Hi everyone! I’m Ann (PacNW in chatroom) from…the Pacific Northwest. Thank you Leo & Lisa for doing this forum. I came across TWiT when it was in the cottage – had been doing lots of searches for things related to Windows, and kept seeing links articles from Paul Thurrott and a podcast that he did called Windows Weekly, so out of curiosity, I checked it out. :blush: I have learned a lot about tech from TWiT shows over the years…and I love hanging with the chatroom when I can, so much fun!

5 Likes

I definitely remember using Veronica and Gopher. I remember Archie, but I don’t remember if I used it or not. No 8" floppies though - just the 5.25" and then 3.5". I wouldn’t want to return to those times - I like my high speed internet and online storage and video streaming. :smiley:

3 Likes

Howdy neighbor :wink:

2 Likes

I have been into tech since 1978 with the Apple II. I have been watching Leo since the Screen Savers/Call for help days. I work in the tech industry as a network PC tech. I use windows as well as linux.

6 Likes

Hi everyone

New here today after getting the heads up by Jason Howell on TWIG.

I noticed my Gravatar was out of date so I’ve updated that and will update my About Me later.

I’m a mid–40s girl from Southern England, UK, and I’ve been into tech and computing since I was 8 years old! I am Co-Admin on a women’s asperger’s/autism group on FB and I run an Internet Services company.

I’m also a licensed radio ham, enjoying Ham Nation occasionally, as well as podcaster and vlogger (with my wife).

Catie x

7 Likes

:wave:

Unfortunately I never had the pleasure of watching Leo on TV back in the good 'ol days. :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ve been listening to Twit since around 2013. I’d been listening to a lot of tech podcasts on other networks (5by5, 70Decibels/Relay etc) which were great but very Apple focused and I wanted to get some Windows perspectives too. So I did the logical thing and Googled ‘Windows podcast’, found Windows Weekly, and it’s all spiralled out of control from there… My podcast feed is now filled with Twit shows, and I’ve even found myself going back and listening to old retired ones to get my fix. I may have a problem.

Outside of the internet I’m doing a PhD in geographic information science at a uni in NW England, and do some voluntary work teaching kids about science using Minecraft when I have the time.

Really excited about the forums as I normally listen when doing things like shopping or having a shower, so can’t exactly join the chatroom much… :stuck_out_tongue:

6 Likes

Know what you mean! Like watching re-runs of your favourite TV series, 20 years later!

1 Like

Hey everyone!

I’m Lewis, a junior doctor in the UK and a self-confessed technology geek who has been listening to Leo for the last 10 years. My favourite moment was probably watching him live stream as he crowd surfed at a live Diggnation show!

I’ve just taken a year out of my doctor training to go full time on my small company which was previously a side project for the last 9 years. It’s called Geeky Medics and it’s basically a platform providing free educational materials to medical students. We’ve now had over 80 million views of our content (plus over 330k Youtube subscribers) and I’m finally making just enough revenue to support me working on it full time.

I actually called the Tech Guy radio around 8 years ago, to ask @Leo for some advice about Geeky Medics in the very early days, when it was just a tiny Wordpress blog. I even found the exact moment Leo helped me out on Youtube (THANKS LEO, I OWE YOU) :slight_smile:

It’s great to be part of the community after listening all this time! Nice to meet you all :wave:

6 Likes

I have a fun TWiT story to share.

I’ve been a long time listener, since iTunes 4.9 introduced podcasts in 2005, and I had to download them to my iPod. I did remember Leo, Patrick, and Kevin from TechTV though I didn’t watch regularly. TWiT and MacBreak Weekly were my jams (and still are) and I remember Leo and Merlin discussing this new thing called Twitter. This was around 2008. So I joined, found some funny people to follow. Including a witty music teacher in rural Midwest (I’m a musician as well). Though we did quit Twitter, I married that music teacher, and we now have 2 kids, a dog, and a house in the suburbs. All thanks to Leo and Merlin.

We did visit the old brick house on our 1 year anniversary/honeymoon in Wine Country, and I got to watch a recording of TWiT with JCD!

I still enjoy TWiT, MacBreak Weekly, and Windows Weekly. I think it’s interesting the Mac hosts always talk about food, but the Windows hosts always talk about booze.

8 Likes

And until recently the Android hosts always talked about dessert! :wink:

6 Likes

Thanks for joining and being a long time listener!

1 Like

Welcome! Thanks for sharing :slight_smile:

Welcome! We are thrilled that you joined! :slight_smile:

1 Like

So happy we can lighten your commute! Welcome :slight_smile:

1 Like

I love the south of France :slight_smile: So incredibly envious. Thanks for joining the conversation!

1 Like

Greetings all.

I’m a CPA and financial planner by trade. Photography is one of my hobbies. Here’s a shot of work machine.

IMG_0063

I’m a huge Microsoft fan. I own three Surface devices. Can’t wait to replace my new iPhone 11 Pro Max with a Duo next year about this time.

Been a Twit fan for many years. Have to WATCH (yes…WATCH) my favorite Twit shows (TWiT, WW, MacBreak, iOS Today, TWIG, Triangulation, and of course The Tech Guy) every week on my favorite iOS podcast app: Downcast. I’d love to WATCH Mikah’s new show. Sure hope Ant does a photo related show that I can WATCH.

Thanks @Leo, Lisa, Paul T, MJ, Sorachi, Stacy, JeffJarvis, Andy, Rene, Lory, JasonHowell, mikahsargent, ant_pruitt, @ChrisMarquardt, Padre, Mike Elgan, Iain, (and many other guests) and of course the behind-the-scenes crew. I have learned so much and been entertained at the same time. Keep up the excellent work.

Paul

P.S. Go Pack Go!!!
P.S.S. I don’t miss Dvorak :stuck_out_tongue:

7 Likes

Heresy! :stuck_out_tongue:

TWiT benefits from a proper contrarian, someone to whisper, “memento mori” to the arrogance and distortion field of the tech industry and gadget-lust, while still having independent thought and giving credit where credit is due. With JCD gone from TWiT, we need more people like Owen JJ Stone (OhDoctah) on more frequently.

The TWiT hosts do provide some balance and skepticism to counter all the overexcitement, but not always. I’m not one of those people who thinks you have to be in love with technology to love technology, if that makes sense.

Though JCD doesn’t keep up as much with tech as he used to (but still more than average person, that’s for sure), so from that angle maybe it’s okay he’s not on, but he does have so many insights and anecdotes that I do wish he was still on TWiT (thankfully he’s on No Agenda and DH Unplugged).

You don’t have to agree with everything someone says to appreciate their thoughts and commentary; I disagree with about half of Jeff Jarvis’ takes, but still think he’s a deep thinker, love his commentary, and am very happy he’s on TWiG.

Last year’s TWiT Christmas special with JCD, OhDoctah, and Alex Lindsay (also very insightful, love Alex) on with Leo was the best episode, ever.

3 Likes

When I think of JCD I think of all the money I spent buying PCMag to read his one pager, and also I am reminded of the days of Boardwatch Magazine (for BBSes, adjacent conversation at Do you have any BBS memories to share? )

All that to say they were great in their day, but perhaps time has moved forward a bit and some things are better in contemplation than reality :wink:

2 Likes