Why do none of my friends enjoy TWIT shows like I do? Are we weird?

I don’t get it. I listen to tons of podcasts and its not uncommon for me to mention shows and people know them but I have never met anyone IRL (“in real life” for the boomers) that listens to TWIT. Also the people I’ve recommended it to or listened to it with just don’t fall in love with it like I do. What is it that makes us like this so much? I want to know so i can find those IRL people to talk to TWIT about.

PS I am an Engineer so I would think other Engineers might be into TWIT. I am also a Millennial (if it wasn’t obvious by my boomer comment). Maybe Y’all can reply and say what you do so i can get an idea what kinds of people Like TWIT?

8 Likes

Yes we are and you should own it!

10 Likes

It might be how we were introduced to it? I found screensavers in college and have followed Leo ever since. How were you introduced to TWIT?

2 Likes

I am actually a probation officer. And, I got hooked watching Leo back on ZDTV in the late 1990s. Never knew what he was up to after the channel went away… I then discovered him by accident on the radio (the Tech Guy) while taking a car trip, and listening to the I Heart Radio app on my cell phone. Got re-hooked, and now I either download the Tech Guy podcast, or watch it live.

I prefer that to listening on the radio, because you do not get to hear all the extra stuff between commercial breaks.

Leo is the reason I have 3 Chrome OS devices :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Oh, you may wanna check out this thread - many of us gave our background here:

6 Likes

I’m a manager for a (very) large tech company, so tech podcasts are in my wheelhouse

5 Likes

I found it through Devindra hardwar (probably spelled that wrong) but he mentioned he was on the a TWIT on the SlashFilm podcast.

2 Likes

What’s in common between us you ask? We’re geeks! Or techies if you prefer!

3 Likes

I agree, we are weird and my wife will second it. She claims podcasts put her to sleep.:yawning_face:

I’ve met one other person IRL who listens to TWiT (Security Now) and recently met a 20yr old college male who listens to podcasts mostly about hunting etc.

TDog :skull_and_crossbones:

3 Likes

Well, speaking as a Gen Xer (since you led with your generational identity), I haven’t been able to connect with any TWiT fans IRL either or get anyone interested in TWiT. But then again, I live in a rural area where most people still think Fakebook is the greatest thing since sliced bread, so…

6 Likes

So, is it nature, or nurture?
Based on a sample of 1, I believe it is nature. It is just ingrained into some of us. Some people like sports, some like politics, and some just like tech.
At 3 years old, I pushed my first button outside the home (pushed the emergency stop on an escalator in a major NYC department store), and made a career of it. Do you know how hard it is to pass a red mushroom button in a high priority realtime operational site and not get to press it.
And try to find someone else who wants to talk about this stuff. Thank goodness Leo has given us this community.

5 Likes

I’m torn. Of course, I would love it if we had a bigger audience. We work hard to make TWiT shows and I think lots more people would like them if they knew we existed.

On the other hand, I know we’re not everyone’s cup of tea and I don’t mind that. By definition, a community is a group of like minded people. One of my guiding principles is not to chase an audience, but to do what’s true to me and let the chips fall where they may. I encourage all our hosts to do the same.

We few, we happy few, we band of brothers. Geek on!

27 Likes

Speaking for myself, this approach is why I value the TWiT network as much as I do.

Edited to correct “soaking” to “speaking” above - missed that! :rofl:

7 Likes

It’s just not for them. I play podcasts all day at work, it used to be music and my coworkers just are not into any of it. Their loss. :blush:

4 Likes

Ok, Milly, I’m a boomer and have followed Leo from his TV show to the TWIT network on my iPad Pro. Of course I’ve always described myself as a frustrated engineer, as I’m fascinated about how things work and am a solution looking for a problem at home or work.

8 Likes

There have been times when it’s taken my nearly 45 minutes to walk across a show floor because I keep getting stopped by folks that wanna talk to me about TWiET. Well I only tend to go to Enterprise shows, so perhaps a bit skewed?

10 Likes

I feel your loneliness and pain. I’m a retired Medical Technologist (boomer) that everyone else just shakes their heads at. Of course, they all come to me with their computer problems, too. But it’s ok. We can’t ALL be fabulous!

5 Likes

I use to really enjoy the ScreenSavers show. I have only been listening for a few months but I find that the shows are great for updating me on tech news of the day. And it is mostly done in language that someone like me can understand.

5 Likes

…and sister geek :wink:

5 Likes

I’m a truck driver tech geek… Still learning everyday… I look forward to Monday mornings when I get in my truck and start listening to my twit podcasts…

7 Likes