Introductions. What's your story?

Thanks for the new format and so glad to be a part of this community. Spend many hours on the road and the podcasts are a lifesaver.

6 Likes

Greetings all! I am Dan from San Antonio and have been watching Leo since “Call for help”. Got me through high school where I took a side job building computers. Thanks @Leo and Patrick for all the help!

6 Likes

Hi everyone.

I was born & raised in Kentucky. I wrote my first program on a TI-99/4A when I was around eight (1982). It was basically an infinite loop in BASIC that would draw a rocket going up the screen. I was fascinated by that. Since the computer didn’t have a hard drive, the program was saved off onto cassette tape. Out of high school (1992), I went to my local community college and got an Associates of Applied Science in Computer Information Systems (1995), then continued on to get my Bachelors of Science from Western Kentucky University in Computer Science (1999). I worked for about 12 years at a small local manufacturing plant as a mostly one man computer department. In 2011, I started working as a Programmer Analyst at our local hospital. Most of my time is put towards interfaces between software systems using the HL7 format. I program mostly in C#, TCL, PHP, & Javascript.

I found Leo, years ago on ZDTV and immediately loved The Screen Savers, Call for Help, and many other of those old shows. I lost track around the G4 days. Then re-found Leo again in the early days of TWiT and have been a regular follower since.

Long live our Chief TWiT!

5 Likes

4 Likes

Super happy to have you here MJ! You’re my favorite contributor to the TWiT network, I’m a big fan of WW and I read many of your articles on ZD.

I think you and Paul make a good team, undying cynicism + positive insights & giggles. Yin and Yang.

3 Likes

How is working in Tech in NZ? I get some emails from companies looking to hire from outside NZ and I’ve been seriously considering trying to make a move there.

I’ve also been scoping out the growing tech industry there for some remote jobs.

@godfrey Hi Philip:

The tech industry here in NZ was great for me for many reasons and especially in distribution. I can highly recommend getting your feet wet and getting stuck into some experience on the ground.

It’s a big industry in terms of where and how you enter and what you want to specialize in.
Will send you a private message with some thoughts once I get a sense of what it is you think you might want to do in this field and where you want to go with it. Need to understand a little more and in particular what part of the industry makes you feel more enthusiastic and what type of work style or application you find more fun and enjoyable.
Maybe send me a message directly.

2 Likes

Will do once I’m not on mobile! Thanks so much for the thorough response.

thank you! appreciate the kind words!

4 Likes

Hello everybody! I was pretty excited about a TWIT forum!
Backstory…I’m a 67 yo female that discovered computers waaaay back in the day. I’m now a retired Medical Technologist, never have been in the computing industry but fell in love with computing and became self taught. After purchasing a Tandy computer, I decided that having only one floppy drive and no hard drive was a pain…so, I bought a bunch of PC magazines and watched Leo on ZDTV and tada…added a second floppy and more ram all by lonesome. I lived in nowhere Wyoming and didn’t know anyone else that even owned a computer yet.

Needless to say, over the years I built many computers and became the computer nerd in our hospital laboratory. Followed Leo and others, continued to read magazines…later the internet…and here I still am. And still learning as I go!

10 Likes

Hi everyone…really glad to see this forum taking off! I joined mainly to be counted among the “less tech-oriented” TWiT listeners/viewers, i.e. those who are more interested in the societal/economic/political/cultural impacts of technology than the latest operating system, gadget or game. I know we’re in the vast minority here, but we do exist, and we love TWiT!

I often hear Leo (and others) apologizing to the audience for some of the best discussions, because they focus on these broader social/cultural aspects rather than gadgets, software, etc…please don’t. I can’t remember who said this, but the point was made recently that all of the boundaries between technology, politics, and culture have completely dissolved. You really can’t discuss one (thoughtfully, critically) without addressing the others.

Anyway, I just wanted to say thanks to Leo, Lisa, and TWiT gang for providing me (and my partner, who listens to just about every show you guys produce) with so much amazing content every week. Please keep up the excellent work!

11 Likes

Yes, I too would like to say a big Thanks to Leo & Lisa for supplying such a brilliant TWiT TV production for all to enjoy and especially myself.
It is also great that you made this web page available as it now makes me feel part of something,… part of the TWiT Community…
Thank you. @Leo

12 Likes

I’m in my mid-twenties but have been listening since high school. Before that I was into techtv.

Intellectually curious. Long time listener. Always a great conversation on the shows. Keeps me informed about things outside of my usual enthusiasms.

I find it important to have conversations about the nexus between tech and political theory. This show helps me encourage other people to become more tech savvy in my field. Staying informed these days is everything, as is knowing what you don’t know. I’d say this podcasts helps people think about tech in a way that most other commentary fails. The nuance and dialogue is 10/10.

I’m also looking to make sure I get the best tech products for my needs. I don’t know who else to trust, man.

8 Likes

I’ve been watching since TechTV days. My cable provider dumped TechTV, so I dumped cable. A few years later I thought about Leo and wondered what he was up to. That happened to be right after Leo started making the 3 hours of his KFI radio show available to download.

Every week it took me an entire day to download all three MP3 files on my slow dial-up, but since there was nothing else to listen to back then it was worth it as I listened to each one at least twice, and got exercise walking while listening.

I’ve been listening ever since and still do a lot of it while taking my daily walks.

6 Likes

I’ve been watching @Leo since the ZDTV days. I hadn’t heard of TWiT until about 5 years ago, but so glad that I have and listen to several of the podcasts on the way to/from work and when I can love watching live.

Listener of:

• All About Android
  • FLOSS Weekly
  • MacBreak Weekly
  • Security Now
  • This Week in Enterprise Tech
  • TWiT
  • Windows Weekly
3 Likes

When I headed out to Northern CA, it was a highlight of my trip to see the folks doing an All About Android show!

2 Likes

Long time fan of TWiT from the beginnings and Canadian ‘Call for Help’. We did a coast road trip July ‘17 and stopped by the studio on a Thursday afternoon. No live shows, but an excellent tour. Even sat on the big ball behind the desk. :sunglasses:

4 Likes

Greetings from an ex-pat now living in Australia. Australia :australia: :uk:

Is Barter Books still there? Spent hours there on visits up from Newcastle where I was studying.

3 Likes

Hi.

Yes it’s still going strong. It now as a cafe attached to it and gets even more visitors.

Small world by the way. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Longtime listener, first time poster…
I drive a truck locally, and deliver food to a very large QSR. You know the one.
I’ve listened to Leo for a very long time, and even remember watching him on screen savers way back in the 20th century!

6 Likes