Introductions. What's your story?

Hello! Long time. Podcast listener of the Tech Guy show. Probably just a tech novice though looking to learn from the best!

4 Likes

I am a south Louisiana native now living in New England. I’ve been into computers and technology since I was about 10. I’ve spent the last 11 years doing IT Audit and Risk Management roles in a few large companies. It was actually those roles that got me into listening/watching the TWiT shows, as keeping up with what is going on with technology has helped me with my work - especially Security Now and Windows Weekly. I had also watched Leo on the original Screen Savers and Call for Help when I was a kid, so when I heard he was doing “podcasts” I had to listen in and I’ve been following ever since.

I’ve recently (last year) taken up fountain pens as a hobby and routinely get weird looks from people in meetings when I take one out. Today’s pen is a LAMY Lx inked with Noodler’s Purple.

6 Likes

Excellent … another New Englander (even if a “transplant” :slight_smile: )

BlockquoteExcellent … another New Englander (even if a “transplant” :slight_smile: )

I like to think of it more as “temporarily displaced” or “on temporary assignment” more than “transplant”.

2 Likes

Hello all!

Thought I would give this community a try. I am not on FB or Twitter and I don’t use any other social media.

I’ve been a TWIT listener for about 10 years. I subscribe to All About Android, This Week in Tech, The Tech Guy, This Week in Google, and Triangulation. I also listen to Stacy’s IOT podcast and follow her co-host Kevin on About Chromebooks.

My daily drivers are an Essential Phone and Pixelbook.

I’ve learned so much from TWIT and the TWIT community and am grateful to be a part of it.

Keep up the great work, everyone!

8 Likes

Hi all :wave:t2:

Long-time listener. My step-daughter lives in the US (Fl), and it was during a visit there I searched for Mac podcasts to listen to in the hotel gym. That was MacBreak Weekly, one of the (many) episodes where @Leo decided to upgrade OS X live on the show much to Alex’s amusement.

I’m one of many youngsters in the UK who got into computing via Sir Clive Sinclair’s computers (ZX80/81/Spectrum), graduated in real-time systems dev and had a 30-year career in the UK electricity industry developing, supporting and managing their amazing and complex IT systems.

Life threw a curve-ball at us recently when my wife, Isabelle was diagnosed with Parkinson’s, so we’ve both stopped work to focus 100% on family and enjoying life. Been a couple of years now, life is great, moved to our forever home in the UK countryside and v. busy enjoying ourselves :+1:t2: Key interest now is tech that makes Issy’s life easier. Smarthome stuff does help with that.

Mac user, Android for phones, Nikon shooter, Land Rover fan, love my mountain bikes and a Spaniel called Posy :dog:

6 Likes

Been following you since “The Screen Savers”. I catch several shows but I watch TWiT live every Sunday evening to around 2am-3am every night (I live in Europe).

4 Likes

My story it in About Me. Thanks again for the good idea.

5 Likes

My introduction to Leo et al was when I stumbled across Call for Help waaaaaay back when I had DirecTV. I would record episodes of it and The Screen Savers on VHS. Yeah I said it…VHS. I had to leave it on that channel and set the VCR (oh geez I almost forgot what is was called), for the right time slots. I watched pretty much religiously until it was taken off. For years after that, I didn’t know what became of him until I (once again) stumbled across a blog post by photographer Zack Arias talking about his appearance on TWiT Photo hosted by Catherine Hall back in 2011. I prefer the live broadcast but recently, I’m dealing with too many I.T. service calls so I have to subscribe and listen to the edited show as I drive around.
Over the years, I developed my favorites. They’re pretty much This Week in Tech, Windows Weekly, This Week in Google, All About Android, and MacBreak Weekly. They’ve shuffled around but this is my current order. I’ve fallen off a lot on most of them. I seem to listen to TWiT and WW most of the time.
When I heard about the community I thought it would be pretty cool but it took a while to sign up.
I was glad TWiT picked up fellow Bourbon and Scotch enthusiast in one @ant_pruitt . I’m looking forward to seeing the flavuh he brings to the studio. I’ll be tuning to some the photo stuff. I got back into photography back in ‘07. I l learned in high school on fathers’ Rollieflex and Leicas back in the mid 70s. I remember I caught an episode of This Week in Tech last year and saw he was sipping on something dark caramel in color. So I hit him up in the live chat and he told me it was a bourbon. I later got his top three bourbons and every now and then when I pour myself something, I’ll tag him. Connecting over a smooth sometimes very smoky scotch can’t be a bad thing I don’t think.
I’ve been a gadget guy from when I was kid. I was always taking things apart to see how they worked. It made my parents mad sometimes. But I was the one fixing the flats on our bikes growing up. My father had a Commodore PET but later when I moved back home to transfer colleges, he had gotten an Apple IIe. That was my intro to the home computer. Although I could program in BASIC, I really didn’t do much with it. I got my first PC in 1984. The IBM with two 5 1/4 floppy drives. I built my first 486 in '96 from parts I bought from a co-worker and from various stores. I got a copy of Win 3.11 to put on it. Back then I had no clue what I was doing and managed to get it done through trial and error. Those were the days of the autoexec.bat and config.sys files. I didn’t know what they did. I just knew they were needed to boot with and that they could be edited to load drivers. I sort of miss those days. Computer cases were the putty type that sliced your fingers when you put your hands in them. The internet was literally the wild west back then. I was constantly upgrading and collecting hardware to build additional ones because we were getting into games. We had monthly LAN parties playing Quake II, CounterStrike, Unreal Tournament, Day of Defeat, and Half-Life all multiplayer style. I worked at a dotcom in the late 90s where I would download all my music on Napster. Shout out those who remember Kazaa and Limewire. Seeing the changes over the last 20 years has been crazy. I’m pretty much just a user now. I haven’t built a PC in a quite a while. It’s an economics thing. My friend is still a hardcore gamer. They just don’t keep my attention the way they used to. Which is weird because back then I was playing on dial-up. After I started getting broadband, I lost interest. Go figure.
Now I’ve recently gotten into flying freestyle FPV quadcopters. A pretty expensive hobby. So if there are any of you nerds, geeks, or whatever who are FPV guys and you live in SoCal, get at me. We’re always looking for new people to go fly with.
I’ll be checking in here from time to time to see what’s new and possibly post a tech question I need to get answered.

6 Likes

Maaaaaan. Welcome to the community. And thanks for the support. That dadgum quadcopter hobby IS expensive for sure :fist_right:t4:

2 Likes

Watch since Techtv days. I live up here in Baine, WA on the Canadian border and at one time ran my own business “Nerds On Site - of Whatcom”, Leo was coming up to Canada a lot in those days and he one time came up to the BC Nerds POD That was a fun time.

I’m now retired for all thing, but help seniors learn and use their technologies and I can help anyone build and publish a Google Sites website if you already have a Gmail account. You can even attach a Domain Name(DNS) to it. Easiest web building there is.

I love TWIG and AAA, but watch TWIT and WW also.

6 Likes

Welcome! Former Whatcom country resident (Bellingham, 20 years)…beautiful area.

1 Like

MandyTheClown

1m

Hi folks. I am very excited about the community forum!

I am a Video Tech for many Washington DC studios, including MSNBC and the local CBS Affiliate.

I just started as a Technical Supervisor at PSAV.

I run the Washington DC Comedy Writers Group.

“And the clown thing?”

I was/am now/and ever shall be a clown. I have been performing in festivals, on stage, and in circuses for about 37 years.

I watched in the tech TV days. Now I am a TWiT.

Whenever I am not working on a Saturday I try to play with everyone in the chat for Giz Fiz.

That’s me. So tell me about you!

9 Likes

Hello and welcome…thanks for making kids happy and adults happy through your calling as a clown. That is so great. Thank you.

7 Likes

Just wanted to let you know that I have been enjoying TWIT SHOWS\podcasts for the last decade including the last episodes of screensavers before it got cut years ago from a public tv broadcast in Ghana. I started listening to your podcasts again in 2007 and brought them with me to Ghana in 2009, taking the and sharing to Nigeria, Uganda and Kenya sharing them with my friends who wanted to know more about IT or any topic computer related. I must say I do also like most of the shows in the full stream even the apple ones though i don’t use any of their products but to help extended family with issues that crop up.
Especially folks worried about hacking events and their safety online.
I’ve made two trips to CA but nowhere near enough to make it to your studio…
Yet :sweat_smile::star_struck::sweat_smile:
Thanks again to you and Steven ‘Tiberius’ Gibson!
:vulcan_salute:t5:
I was amusingly listening to your podcasts about VPNs in Uganda as I was helping a few hundred folks get vpn apps exchanged via telegram to set a record in VPN installs in 2016 while on a trip to Kenya to finish my Visa application to return to the US so naturally knowing the government was looking for the source of that shift I kept my name off the articles and instead redirected all articles to the eff sites and some of the grc episodes.
I’ve now taken some of my favourite shows with me on long drives between Madison WI and Maryland on personal business and it’s made it possible to make the long drive with full attention 14hrs. Not really sure how anyone can fall asleep with these shows.
I currently work on medical Robotics and look forward to a few more years of the Twit shows!
Cheers.

6 Likes

Quadcopters!?! Please feel free to share any photos. What a fun hobby! Thank you for the wonderful introduction :slight_smile:

4 Likes

When my skills get to the point that I’m willing to risk putting a GoPro on them and possibly destroying them, I’ll post some stills. Or videos if it’s doable. These are much faster and agile than the ones you see used for aerial photography.

4 Likes

Hi Everyone – I like many of you heard about the community page weeks ago when it was mentioned on TWiT, and then promptly forgot about signing up. I’ve been a technology enthusiast for years, mostly through A/V technology. I’ve been a media producer (radio with NPR, independent video producer), a media studies teacher, and non-profit project manager. I’m now studying the learning sciences and how it’s theories can be applied to news and media literacy education – a field I’ve been involved with for close to 10 years now. I’ll also mention that I produce and edit a podcast for the Kellogg School of Management at Northwestern University.

I only vaguely remember watching Leo on ZDTV, and can’t recall what got me to start listening to TWiT, but it was my introduction to Podcasts way back in 2006 or 2007, when I started listening on my iPod each week during my morning commute.

Looking forward to engaging with the community!

9 Likes

I’m Peter. 30 years in I.T., 20 in financial markets. Probably (co-)wrote Australia’s first ever database driven website in 1996 using web.sql which was Sybases’ commercial version of sybperl. Been doing everything from large scale dev and infrastrcuture projects to sysadmin and java microservices as well as blockchain. Lately in IT Security/SecOps and am member of the Zelcore team.

An Aussie living in NZ and been a fan of Leo and co since the TechTV days. I try to watch live but the timezones (TZ) make it difficult. Faves in no order: TWiT, MBW, Security Now, TWiG (dark mode here Mr J !!) , TWICH, FLOSS and TWIET too. I miss the TWIL show as TZ wise it was on at a good time for me and i had it on in the background on my Saturday morning and was always topical.
I can help with hardware and software and dev. i’m actively in Go (go-lang) and have boatloads of exp as mentioned above.
cheers
Peter

edit: Mac and Linux here - prefer not to help with windows even tho i’ve come from a Win32 dev background (MS certified) and i’m forced to use a very very locked down Win10 computer in my current contract. Solaris, RHEL and WSO2 certified too.

10 Likes

Long time listener… blah blah blah… as they say.

I am an Sys Admin for a small non-prof in Atlanta. Avid outdoor photographer, off-roader and electronics hobbyist.

I love to fix what’s broken…

I listen to most of the shows during my daily commute.
TheTechGuy always reminds me to be humble.
SecurityNow keeps me up on the latest threats
WindowsWeekly… okey, not just me … Windows is broken
MacBreakWeekly… keeping up on all the iStuff. Sometimes I have to FF through Andy’s rambles.

Thanks for the Community!

7 Likes