I’m confused about my email/calendar setup

Sorry for the lengthy post but I felt the background is important.

Many years ago, I registered a domain, Schubertville.com. I associated it with my Google account. So I would login as jeremy@schubertville.com to access my gmail, google drive and website.

Then I decided I wanted a new email service that was more secure and didn’t rely on advertising. So I bought a Fastmail account. The Fastmail people gave me instructions of how to update the mail server records on my registrars site.
Then I needed my own Microsoft Office subscription. So I created a Microsoft Office 365 family account with the primary email address of jeremy@schubertville.com. For a long time I used Word, Excel and PowerPoint on my iPhone and iPad and everything was working well.

Now I’m going to start using my Windows 10 laptop again for work. So I installed the Microsoft 365 apps on my laptop. I looked up how to install my Fastmail account onto Outlook. I had to use IMAP.

Now I have all my Fastmail emails and folders on my laptop’s Outlook. But it doesn’t show up in my online version of Outlook. I have a jeremy@schubertville.com on my online account populated with nothing. Also, my jeremy@schubertville.com email is still accessible through my Gmail account.
On my laptop, I can create a Personal Calendar that can’t be shared (so I can access it on work computers and my iPhone/IPad).

If I login to Microsoft 365 site, I’m told that I don’t have access and permissions to share the calandra to myself but I share it with other external email addresses.
Have I configured something wrong somewhere?

Thanks!
Jeremy Schubert

604-788- 9154

I have setup the Microsoft 365 apps on my Windows 10 laptop. I configured my email account through IMAP on to my desktop Outlook.
I created a calendar using this account on my desktop Outlook app. It’s my understanding that because my calendar is attached to an IMAP account, I can’t sync it with my online Microsoft soft account. Is this true? Is there a workaround for this?
Just to clarify, my email account (the IMAP account), has the same name as my Microsoft account. Not sure if this matters?
Thanks,Jeremy

IMAP is a mail protocol. Calendar uses iCAL. Two completely different things. A mail program that does IMAP only does email. If you attach a calendar to it in Outlook, it will be local only. In order to sync, you need to sync the calendar via the protocol.
But, if you are using 365 apps with what I assume to be the same MS online account, why don’t you use the native protocols? That will sync everything.

1 Like

Sorry for the lengthy post but I felt the background is important.

Many years ago, I registered a domain, Schubertville.com. I associated it with my Google account. So I would login as jeremy@schubertville.com to access my gmail, google drive and website.

Then I decided I wanted a new email service that was more secure and didn’t rely on advertising. So I bought a Fastmail account. The Fastmail people gave me instructions of how to update the mail server records on my registrars site.
Then I needed my own Microsoft Office subscription. So I created a Microsoft Office 365 family account with the primary email address of jeremy@schubertville.com. For a long time I used Word, Excel and PowerPoint on my iPhone and iPad and everything was working well.

Now I’m going to start using my Windows 10 laptop again for work. So I installed the Microsoft 365 apps on my laptop. I looked up how to install my Fastmail account onto Outlook. I had to use IMAP.

Now I have all my Fastmail emails and folders on my laptop’s Outlook. But it doesn’t show up in my online version of Outlook. I have a jeremy@schubertville.com on my online account populated with nothing. Also, my jeremy@schubertville.com email is still accessible through my Gmail account.
On my laptop, I can create a Personal Calendar that can’t be shared (so I can access it on work computers and my iPhone/IPad).

If I login to Microsoft 365 site, I’m told that I don’t have access and permissions to share the calandra to myself but I share it with other external email addresses.
Have I configured something wrong somewhere?

Thanks!
Jeremy Schubert

604-788- 9154

If your mail is with Fastmail, then you should be using their web interface, not Microsofts.

1 Like