How many computers do you have?

Can you clarify what you mean by “emissions” ?

Electromagnetic emissions. Also, the charge transfer that happens from physical contact with devices while in operation (which I find can bleed through some materials). I realize this is the wrong community to expect to acknowledge it, but I decided to mention it: I really don’t care to hear how ionization is the only damaging emissions, especially when DNA research shows mere blue light changes DNA and quantum mechanics proves how little it takes to disrupt subtle forces’ communication (and yes, I fully realize the seismic change to the consumer electronics industries acknowledgement of today’s metallic/electronic technologies’ energetic toxicity would cause and don’t expect those so invested in them as TWiT’s community to take kindly to insinuations beyond the accepted status quo), so please let’s leave the topic be at that.:v:

Well thanks for answering.

1 Like

Quite the collection :slight_smile:

Like jazake I own too many. But my pride and joy is a 7th gen i7 Plex server running 64 gb of Ram and 26 (yes ran outta letters) drives. Sporting 13 internal and 13 external 184 tb total.

3 Likes

Wow. That is amazing!

1 Like

Heres a pic of the beast

3 Likes

What is it that you use this for? Media? Every TV show ever created?

2 Likes

Yeah, just about. A bunch of movies as well.

2 Likes

Not to feed the beast but… you know you can mount drives to an empty NTFS folder?

3 Likes

Would that be to increase total storage. Just trying to get a feel on the advantages. Up to now I’ve done that by replacing drives with larger ones. But as you can imagine it’s time consuming as well as expensive (not to mention I now have a surplus of 4 and 6 tb drive that my system has outgrown.

1 Like

I have taken the opposite solution. I acquired a large [Synology] NAS and have NO local files of consequence on any of my PCs. If I need to blow away a PC, it’s no big chore. My NAS has a share for Plex, and Plex has no problem using UNC naming (like //NASName/Plex/movies.)

3 Likes

And what did you recommend your clients switch too?

Rammed down the throat, huh?

1 Like

The beast is a dedicated Plex server but the concept of un named drive intrigues me. Cracking that may be another way forward. Thanks for the suggestion.

1 Like

@P_J If they had not surrendered to the pop-up box with no close button, only the options to “Upgrade Now” or “Upgrade Later” (later being tonight) there were a number of ways of stopping the upgrade, Steve Gibson’s Never 10 being the best of them.

Some I moved to Chromebooks, A couple I moved to Mint Linux, and Many stayed where they were. Some had iPads and discovered they could do everything they needed there.

I just looked at what their needs were. It almost sent me broke. I spent hours helping people who had no idea what was happening, and often could not afford to pay me.

There computer was their lifeline to family all over Australia, through e-mail, Facebook, and other platforms. They were, in a number of cases quite elderly, and simply did not want a new computer.

I simply could not turn my back on them. I closed the business, but I still help a lot of them.

4 Likes

Wow. Quite the story. I’m starting to recommend Chromebooks to family members that rely on me for tech support.

2 Likes

Yes, adding a HDD to a folder mount point allows you to increase storage without having to assign a drive letter.

I’m using an 8-bay Drobo in the same fashion, feeding my Plex/Media needs.

2 Likes

Holy crap! :astonished:(and blah, blah blah to meet the 20 character requirement)

2 Likes

5 of my own, 1 at Work.
Work is a Dell Precision 5520 from 2018.
At Home:

1. Mid 2009 Macbook Pro 2.53 running Catalina w/ 480SSD and 8GM of RAM.
  2. 2003 PowerMac G4 MDD running Mac OS 9, 10.3. 10.4 and 10.5…for vintage gaming.
    Not on my Desk, but in a drawer:
  3. 2008 Macbook Pro…this was primary until I got the 2009. .
  4. 2002 PowerBook G4/833. Primary portable until the 2008.
    And this is in it’s original Box in the Basement
    5.1999 iMac DV SE. This was primary until 2006. A 2006 iMac replaced it, but that device died in 2016.
    Only the iMacs were purchased new. The rest were ebay purchases.
1 Like