Ditching The Desktop?

My iMac is only a couple of years old, but I was thinking ahead recently. Being retired, I don’t do any business work on a computer. At this point, I’m mostly using my Mac, iPhone, & basic iPad as consuming devices. Some minor blogging, & participating in groups such as this. I store everything in several clouds. After 2 years of use, I still have 750 of 1000GB of storage left on my Mac.

I’m wondering about the feasibility of living with just an iPhone and iPad. I seem to recall a few times when I needed to be on an actual computer for a particular task, but it’s been awhile. I’m wondering if that rare necessity will even be needed in the near future. Am I missing any vital need for a computer per se?

I was thinking if I did that, I might need an iPad Pro. Yet my basic iPad, with 128GB seems to do everything I need it to do. I still have 95GB remaining. With a 256GB phone, I seem to be overspending on device storage… :scream:

I would be very interested in your thoughts. Thanks so much! :slightly_smiling_face::peace_symbol:

When my trusty 2007 iMac wasn’t supported anymore, I gave it up and never looked back. I’m retired, too, and just wasn’t using it for much anymore. I have my iPhone and iPad Pro. I don’t have nearly the storage you do, but share an unlimited storage account with Google cloud with my husband.

1 Like

I don’t see any major reason for you to have a computer. Put the mac in a closet or something for 6 months, then donate or sell it. You could always buy a cheap laptop down the road if anything comes up.

3 Likes

I think habit is one of my biggest obstacles. For so many years, I’ve gotten out of bed, made coffee, & sat down at the computer, until my wife wakes up. Obviously, I can do the same with other devices. Thanks for your reply.

Until I met my wife of 28 years, I just bought things when I needed them. She likes to have extra items on hand. Because we live a whole mile away from Target & the grocery store…:upside_down_face:

I guess some of that rubbed off on me in the form of device storage. :grimacing: Thanks for replying!

1 Like

You could do what I did. I turned off the computer I was wondering if I needed, for a month. In my case, I found that there were to things I did on it that drove me crazy on my iPad, so I kept it. From your description, you might not miss it at all.

1 Like

We are heading that way fast within a few years most people will not need a desktop…

1 Like

I personally like desktops. I have historically had a desktop my entire computer life. My last WIndows computer was/is a laptop - but I have a mouse hooked to it when I use it, along with a fullsize keyboard.

I use it on rare occassions - my main computer is now a Chromebox (a desktop). I do have two Chromebooks - but the Chromebox is what I spend the majority of my time on. For long use, I do not like typing on a tablet that much, or a laptop keyboard. And, I hate trackpads on a laptop.

1 Like

For me, it is the screen size and position, more than anything.

I have a laptop, a Fire tablet and a smartphone, but I spend 99% of my time in front of a real screen at a good angle. Looking down at the phone or tablet, or even the laptop on my lap, gives me neck ache very quickly. Holding the phone or tablet up at eye level for hours on end is bad for my arms and shoulder…

1 Like

I use my Desktop for two reasons:

1. Gaming
  2. Blu-ray ripping and transcoding

If the above were doable on an iPad, I’d ditch my Desktop in a heartbeat.

2 Likes

There are so many inexcusable gaps still in iPad OS for me (e.g. Mail can’t even create hyperlinked text directly in a message!), and the lack of ports drives me nuts, but in practice they impede low-key day-to-day basics almost not at all, so unless you care about serious file management or authorship then you’re probably fine.

Ergonomics are solved for me by my Smart Keyboard on my 10.5" iPad Pro (2017). I use it on my stomach in bed with pillows to prop my head forward, I use it on the table for hours a day comfortably, and occasionally use it in “presentation mode” with the keyboard behind for games.

1 Like

I am old schooled and love my desktop. I use it not for storage, because like you I have the cloud, but for the interface of the desktop keyboard. I also prefer watching videos on a wide screen of a desktop over the small screen of a iPad. I can use a iPad keyboard but prefer my desktop keyboard on my Mac. I do like the advice given by those who suggest you put the desktop aside for a while and see how your work flow goes without it. You may find the iPad is serving your needs or like me you may find that the Mac desktop still has use and necessity in my life. I tried to go without my desktops for a while and realized I was just wasn’t ready to let it go. I guess people are different so it is up to you to see what you prefer.

2 Likes

Nah I wont be giving up my PCs, Desktops/Laptop anytime soon, I still use them a lot for many things, I still like to use Desktops over mobile devices. I only really use my iPod Touch, etc when I go out When I’m home, I’m using my desktops.

1 Like