How many computers do you have?

4 Windows machines, 1 Acer all in one, Asus 2 in one, Acer 15" laptop,HP 7" tablet, and an old Acer netbook. 1 Asus chromebook. 2 Android tablets. 1 iphone and numerous Android phones

1 Like

I use my iphone for everything. And I have an android tablet for gaming and you tubing.

I keep thinking I should get a laptop or desktop but I canā€™t think what Iā€™d use it for! I really love that phone/tablet technology has brought me to the point of not needing anything more.

1 Like

Save the $$$ if you do not need it

So Iā€™m not the only one with this problem. Currently:
OnePlus6, Iphone11max, Ipad Pro, Samsung Tab, Mac Book Pro, HP win 10 laptop, 2009 Dell XPS running Pop OS, Apple Watch, oh and my first computer a Gateway 450 nostalgic purposes :nerd_face:

1 Like

Iā€™ve always had a bunch of desktops at home just to run different OSes and the like, but over the past couple of years, Iā€™ve trimmed that way down (not enough free time to ā€œplayā€, plus virtualization is more convenient).
Current in use list:

• Main computer is a custom built Windows tower (built in 2014 for about $1,500ā€¦probably due for a refresh soon). Not really built for gaming, but I wanted a really good graphics card, plenty of RAM and fast storage.
  • HP Chromebook X360 - used as my secondary ā€œdesktopā€ computer and occasional on the go laptop. Experimenting with using Chrome OS full time, but still need Windows for dev work,
    audio apps, etc.
  • HP Envy dv7 - monster large laptop that I mainly used to use as a luggable desktop. It doesnā€™t see much use these days, but still a very capable machine.
  • Lenovo Thinkpad T430S - I always like the build quality of the Thinkpads (used them at work). I picked this one up on ebay for super cheap and installed Linux Mint and Elementary on it to play around with Linux. Ran out of free time, but dig it out on occasion to tinker. May try out Pop OS next.
  • Pixel 2XL - because it really is my most used computer most of the time. Looking forward to the Pixel 4.

Work is a couple of test desktops at the office and a Dell Latitude laptop to lug from there to home.

1 Like

I have my main Ryzen 1700 desktop (32GB RAM, 3 x 512GB SSD, 1x 2TB HDD, Windows 10, Hyper-V, running Debian, CentOS, Gentoo and Windows Server 2019 in VMs, 34" Dell UltraSharp ultra-wide monitor).

An HP Spectre X360 (first generation, Skylake i5)
A Rasberry Pi 3 (Debian, running Pi-Hole as a dedicated DNS server, 2.5 million blacklisted tracking sites)
A QNAP 4-bay NAS with 16GB RAM, hosting a Docker with Unifi Controller to handle my Unifi APs and USG.
Smartphone (Huawei Mate 10 Pro) and Fire HD tablet.

At work I have a ThinkPad T480 and an Huawei P20.

1 Like

Looking forward to your thoughts. What do you plan on using it for?

Thereā€™s two answersā€¦ how many do I ā€œhaveā€ and then how many do I actually use!

I use two (mid-2010 MacBook Pro and a 2008 Mac Pro tower) but I also have others and all workā€¦

PowerPC G4-400 tower Mac
PowerComputing PowerCenter 150 official Mac clone
PowerPC based Mac mini
PC-2 pocket computer by Radio Shack (really a SHARP PC-1500)
A friendā€™s Mac Pro tower that he gave to me (really needs a new video card)

I think thatā€™s all of themā€¦ so call it seven?

Oh, you just said ā€œcomputersā€ā€¦ I also have my friendā€™s DELL PC tower running Windows XP here. So I guess that means eight.

2 Likes

I have three self built Windows PCs (one is an HTPC), one laptop, two RPi 4s,one RPi 3+, two RPi 3s, one RPi 2, two Rock64s, one Nexus 6P, one Nexus 7, Samsung S3, Samsung S5. one D-Link NAS and two SWTPC 6800s built from kits.

1 Like

Mostly development, VMs and normal office stuff. Iā€™m a senior at Univ of Illinois Computer Science so thatā€™s the bulk of my work other than personal projects.

I really want to quit my job and do some freelance Web Dev/Any Dev that will pay me and also some Technical Writing.

1 Like

2 Mac Minis, iPhone X. No laptop. I prefer iPad. I love my older Mac mini but I canā€™t update it anymore. Thinking about putting Linux on it.

I havenā€™t had a Windows machine for a number of years but more tempted these days.

2 Likes

Letā€™s see ā€¦ Iā€™ll work from earliest to latestā€¦

Iā€™ve got three Amigas - they are on a shelf but all work. In fact, I recently imaged all their hard drives (plus one from my old video studio) and run them all through ā€œAmiga Foreverā€ emulation.

An old PC (c.2000), I refer to as Frankenstein because I cobbled it together from two non-working computers Iā€™d been given. I think it runs XP. I rarely use it but its serial port proved handy in getting those Amiga hard drive images over to the PC environment!

An old WinTel laptop that I bought used in the early 20 teens. It shipped in 2005 with XP but was equipped with Win 7 when I bought it. Its IDE bus crapped out not long ago so it now runs a portable Linux from a USB key.

A 2009 Mac Mini I use for A/V intake. This machine is next up for replacement.

I built my main production computer in 2013. I edit sound, video, and photos on it regularly. It currently runs Win 7 but will have to be ā€œupgradedā€ to Win 10 after the 1st of the coming year.

A 2013 iMac, 21 in. Originally, to replace the Mac Mini but it has become a LAN machine for Minecraft with the grandkids :slight_smile:

In 2014 I bought a refurbished Dell running Win 8.1. As soon as it became available, I upgraded to Win 10 and this is now my ā€œtest bedā€ for that OS as well as an audio source for my P/A & DJ work.

3 Likes

Pretty sure Iā€™m in the vast minority here in having just my iPad Pro 10.5" (2017) with the Smart Keyboard, aside from a beleaguered iPod Touch 6th-gen thatā€™s literally falling apart; I donā€™t own a cellphone because the emissions bother me and I rarely roam anyhow (would rely on public WiFi using Cloudflareā€™s 1.1.1.1 service/app).

Iā€™m considering an iPhone installment plan with Mint Mobile service thanks to their TWiT ads and compelling value prop (obviously kept in Airplane Mode unless roaming), but as long as my iPod limps along to provide mobile camera, notes/reminders, calculator, contacts, and cache-able maps, adding an iPhone just doesnā€™t make sense, and a new iPod isnā€™t worth the money, for my purposes, nor are tiny phones Iā€™ve seen. (I use AirDrop for features now too old to sync with my old iPod.)

1 Like

I have 5 one windows 10 pc 2017 iMac late 2009 Mac mini 2018 Microsoft surface pro I forgot the year but a hp chrome OS laptop a cheap one no android support on it I am waiting if there is going to be any new iPad Pro if not Iā€™m going to buy last yearā€™s model

1 Like

3 or 4, depending on if an iPad Pro counts. Otherwise, Alienware desktop for gaming and suchlike things, Dell Latitude 7400 at work, and a Surface Go, because I sometimes like things that arenā€™t quite terrible.

1 Like

If I count my work laptop and no smartphones or tablets, I have 2 desktop boxes in service. Since Iā€™m not much a gamer, I like to buy retired business class PCs. Theyā€™re very cheap, yet have ample power to run the household.

1 Like

Not counting phones or tablets, I have two desktops and one laptop. One of my desktop PCā€™s is a home media center, while the other is the machine I do most of my work on. Even though I am not counting my phone, I seem to slowly be doing more and more work on my phone. However, I canā€™t fully program on my phoneā€¦yet.

1 Like

I have been a Windows user and developer since Windows 3.1. I was running a computer support business when Microsoft started ramming Windows 10 down everyoneā€™s throat, and it caused endless pain for my customers, many of which were older people.

I bought a MacBook Air to see what it was like.

I now own 3 Macs, iPhone, iPad and one Dell XPS 13, That I am thinking about selling.

Enjoy!

2 Likes

If youā€™re counting iPads as ā€œcomputersā€, understand that is just Apple marketing-speak. :wink:

I am on a 2016 15" MacBook Pro. I also have a (2011?) iMac 27" that I use as a desktop machine. I still have my 2007-ish 17" MacBook Pro but I never use it (I no longer have any removable batteries for it because it exploded). I also have my original computer, an Apple //c.
I also have an HP Pavilion 11t-n000 x360 PC that Chad and I both reviewed on Before You Buy episode 128. Spoiler, it was overwhelmingly a ā€œDONā€™T BUYā€ from both of us.
I also have an iPad Mini that I got as a hand-me-down from my wife when she got an iPad Pro.

2 Likes