HOP 2: Exposure Triangle

Beep boop - this is a robot. A new show has been posted to TWiT…

What are your thoughts about today’s show? We’d love to hear from you!

3 Likes

Looking forward to episode 3 and building on these last two weeks. :grin:

4 Likes

Very informative, @ant_pruitt! Looking forward to more! :clap::clap:

2 Likes

Sweeeeeeeeet. Glad you think so. I loved playing around in manual mode experimenting with settings. It helped me understand exposure better than using the preprogrammed modes. THANKS

2 Likes

Many thanks! I mainly am aware of ISO (in exactly those layman’s terms) but couldn’t get my head around f-stops. I’m going to try to play around more with my smartphone’s camera (fixed aperture, it seems) and a point-and-shoot I inherited some time back.

2 Likes

Nice job Ant. One point though. Is there a time limit on the show? It would nice if you could go into a little more detail it would be beneficial. Maybe 30 minute show instead of 15-16 minute show?

2 Likes

Yeah it’s shorter show. I’ll try to do better with getting more details in without getting too nerdy. Thanks, @Slickster

1 Like

Correct. Phones have fixed aperture, so you’ll have to play with shutter speed and ISO. I’ll be discussing this on ep3. Thanks for watching, @RoyalKnight🤜🏽

1 Like

You are doing great. I like your approach. Looking forward to further episodes.

1 Like

Some great photography episodes @ant_pruitt. I liked your advice about getting a prime lens on HOT.

1 Like

It’s been fun prepping for the shows each week. I hope to energize the community

1 Like

The antigram letters for the show could be iHop.

1 Like

Oh go on and get as nerdy as you like, @ant_pruitt. We can handle it.

4 Likes

Hi Ant,

Just caught the second episode this morning. (Love your work by the way)… But I just couldn’t get past your explanation of ISO. Back in the day, this was all about the speed of the film and the size of the crystals on the film (as I remember). Therefore a high ISO meant for a grainier exposure even if you got your aperture and shutter speed perfect. How does that work now without film??? The sensor has pixels, not light reactive chemicals. Your explanation of “pho” light didn’t explain this for me at all.

Hoping you can revisit this for the beginners… of which I’m one. I just began a long time ago!

Cheers!

SmokinAussie.
Melbourne Australia

2 Likes

It’s the level of light sensitivity the image sensor has. I THINK I mentioned an example of our own eyes. Granted, a pupil can be comparable to aperture blades, but my eyes will hurt in some rooms because of light. I can see clearly, but my eyes will hurt. Drives me nuts, actually. Ugh!

Increasing ISO will create “fake” light for the image, but too much will create grain if there’s movement and a shutter that’s too slow.

Thanks for watching, @SmokinAussie :fist_right:t4::tumbler_glass:

1 Like

Thanks Ant. You answer has made me do a little further research on ISO in the digital age. The term ISO had carried on but the mechanisms are a little different. While ISO for film referred to the chemical sensitivity of the film to light, in a CCD or CMOS, this is managed by the voltage pushed though the sensor The higher the voltage, the more the sensitivity but the greater the noise, so in effect ISO is still relevant today although it comes about in a completely different way. At least this is how I understand it now. You can probably school me on that though! :nerd_face:

Thanks for getting back to me. You are a terrific addition to the TWIT team. I’ve been watching for years and I’m glad you’re here.

Cheers! And yeah… I like a Scotch too! :fist_right::tumbler_glass: Oh. AND BBQ

SmokinAussie

Melbourne

2 Likes

Oh I definitely like how you roll :slight_smile:

Let me share a use case for me when it comes to increased ISO.

-Shooting a wide landscape at golden hour. It’s usually a lil’ dark outside according to my camera. And since I want to try to get as much of the frame in focus, I’ll shoot at f/8-f/11. (Usually f/11) This means less light is getting to the sensor through the tighter aperture. If I put my shutter at 1/4 second with ISO 400 or slower on a tripod that’s struggling to keep stable on the muddy ground, I’ll get blur in the image. If I speed up the shutter to maybe. . . 1/50 or 1/100 second and set ISO to maybe 1600 or 3200, I minimize the chance of motion blur (due to faster shutter) and get a little more “light” shown in the final picture due to higher ISO value. Sunshine didn’t change. Just the camera settings did. That’s just a scenario off the top of my head.

I’m a weirdo. I shoot in manual 90% of the time. I could probably shoot in aperture priority for most things I shoot. But I taught myself how to deal with the exposure triangle by shooting in manual and playing around with settings. I still have a ways to go, but it’s always fun learning on the fly. And sometimes it’s been fun to be a spot and can almost guess on the nose what my shutter, aperture and ISO should be while I’m framing the shot. In my opinion, I say shoot more in manual around the house to get used to visualizing the exposure triangle. Man I’ve shot countless cups of coffee, my dogs or lawn chairs because I wanted to see “what happens when I change this setting.” I have no life, so I could spend time doing these random test shots.

1 Like

Yep.

Makes sense. I used to “manual” a lot too as a kid with a film camera. Back in the day that was kinda spendy because… film. And you didn’t know what your results would be so I had to write stuff down and then see what happened in the darkroom at school! Sadly, I got a life after that outside of photography and ended up using automatic settings most of the time. Then when the digital stuff came out I thought ISO would be irrelevant… but it’s not, so thanks for helping me understand.

I got an entry level FujiFilm XT-100 a few months ago so I’m starting to play around with “manual” again.

Cheers! I’ll be watching!

SmokinAussie

Melbourne

1 Like

I’m enjoying these episodes, especially this one on the Exposure Triangle. For me, going manual was the best thing, allowing me to compose my shots the way I wanted, highlight or hide certain areas from the viewer’s eye.

@ant_pruitt, I hope you can mention and make use of other terms, like Sunny 16 or the grid (3x3 to simple, though some I think go 4x4 or 5x5). They’ve helped me compose and take better photos.

Oh, I do also wonder if you’ll mention anything for moon photography. I did a montage of photos of the moon and posted it on FB, noting the f-stop, ISO, and length. I’ll have to send it to @ant_pruitt some time.

1 Like

@ant_pruitt, I commented to you in the photo of the week thread but I want to mention it again…
Ep. 2 was fantastic! Please continue to not only explain the terms but shooting the same shot and varying the settings was more helpful than anything else! Seeing the difference made all the difference!

and any single malt from Scotland gets my vote, too. Love me some neat sipping whisky!

1 Like