Hello, is anybody home?

I’ve tried to use Discord, but it is just too disorganized and there are no threads of conversation, as there are here.

Discord actually has this feature and more. It’s a very robust platform. In my opinion, the TWiT Discord is still in a rudimentary phase that hasn’t yet realized its potential. I needed to stop paying to save money, but if any TWiT PTB reading my comment wants to give me a shot, I’m declaring my candidacy.

Warning: 6am and I haven’t been to bed yet stream of consciousness follows.

With the right amount of settings, regulation, and lead-by-example tone-setting, Discord can work like a powerful forum as well. It, in fact, does have threads that can spin up and spin down as needed. For example, a channel can exist with the permissions set to allow only thread creation, and that channel serve as a launching point and archive for each separate thread. Roles can be used like major topics that users can opt into getting notified about.

I have quite a few Discords that work like active community hubs, not chat rooms, and it’s a fun, flexible platform. I’m sad that it’s not more open or federated, but neither was Twitter and still many of us here had a lot of fun on that platform, in the early days (when we bent it to our will and made it become what we needed).

The main thing that I would want to see happen on the TWiT Discord is for the channels to be evolving and refining more often. Perhaps a more dialed-in setup would be to pair down topic channels into one primary topic channel where threads are encouraged to be created instead - so the channels provides a bird’s eye view, and the threads are where you can zoom in. Maybe that “jumping off” channel is what’s needed to spur engagement. Or maybe it’s a terrible idea. But the idea is to be aware of all the features and creative ways to use them, and then utilize them in an evolving fashion, with energy.

It was me who suggested to Leo the idea of a different channel for each show and make sure that the current (live) show is easy to get to by placing it in a “live” category. I still think that’s the right approach, but when I proposed that, in my mind, the idea was that it would extend the “consciousness” of each show beyond its live period, by fostering “mini communities” of each show in their own channels - where perhaps the hosts participate throughout the week as they drop in their in-progress show notes or links or PDFs. (Discord has a good search feature that could recall them later. eg. “from:user has:link” or “from:user has:file”.) Last I was in there, the show channels hadn’t realized this potential, but I think it’s there.

I also think a voice channel where the broadcast audio is piped in but people are allowed and encouraged to speak over and around it, would be a worthwhile experiment to see if people enjoyed it. You’d still have the text channels for typing along with the show, but the concept of voice talking with your friends while watching TWiT together is an interesting one to me.

Finally, I think Twit’s Discord has a potential to pull in listener demographics that advertisers like, but it needs to be introduced to the community as a destination, not a feature. In other words, instead of people getting home and turning on Twit or opening their podcast app, they should want to open Discord (where there’s also TWiT - either live, or with Twit On Demand links ready to go in their own channel) because there’s almost always something happening in the Twit Discord server. A team of active power-users/moderators would be key here. There are many engaging online activities that can build a community that likes to hang out together. Gaming is an obvious choice (including casual gaming with free games), but there are others too.

3 Likes

This is a great post. Funny enough, this is exactly the kind of thing I do not regularly see on the Discord :upside_down_face:. I agree that it would take a more robust push to move the Discord to the next phase of its evolution and take on more roles for the community. I think that effort is somewhat hobbled by the fact that it is only for Club TWiT members, and there is this split between the Discord and the forum.

I don’t know how you carve out an enhanced experience for Club members while also opening it to everyone. Someone smarter than me probably has figured it out somewhere. I know on the Thurrott.com website they have a “Premium” section of the forum for paying members and that is pretty good. Maybe TWiT could have Club TWiT channels. Leo may be leery about putting the entire community into a proprietary platform, no matter how great it is.

The Thurrott website also segregated the Premium and regular comments. In theory that elevated Premium comments which in general were better, but it was a fundamentally broken system and they wasted a ton of development time and effort trying to build and manage it.

I don’t know… I would just like to see a more engaged community, and from the outside it seems like the current approach is sub-optimal.

3 Likes

This is a great post.

I don’t know how you carve out an enhanced experience for Club members while also opening it to everyone.

The Memberful service that TWiT uses provides for that. Instead of granting access/kicking people from the server, the paid membership can assign Roles, which is one of Discord’s most powerful features.

For example, TWiT could change the settings to restrict the upstart podcasts, the book clubs, the extra topic channels, the “plus content” to only paying members; but leave the show channels (which, as I said above, should turn into mini-communities) and voice chats and hangouts and games available to everyone to build a bigger community and make it a destination.

Leo may be leery about putting the entire community into a proprietary platform, no matter how great it is.

That’s what I was thinking of when I wrote “I’m sad that it’s not more open or federated, but neither was Twitter and still many of us here had a lot of fun on that platform, in the early days.”

In other words, there’s always the risk that it’s building a community on someone else’s property, but if we flash back to 2007-2010, there was a uniqueness to Twitter and foregoing it in order to build something proprietary to TWiT would have been a mistake. (Now, a decade later, Twitter vs. Mastodon is a whole different story.) And between Mastodon, Discourse, and Discord, Discord offers a much broader and feature-full opportunity to build a community.

1 Like

I don’t think we have any numbers regarding that. I keep an eye on all of our social platforms: here, twit.social, irc.twit.tv, and the Discord. Not all the host do so, though.

Regarding your suggestions @JTW I think the biggest issue is the lack of manpower to manage and moderate a more complex Discord/integrated environment. I prefer to keep it simple and as flat as possible. That makes it easier for me to track conversations and I think makes it much less intimidating for our users.

3 Likes

@Leo while I appreciate the feedback of others and trying to engage the broader TWIT Community, I’d like to be the devil’s advocate in keeping it as is. The main reason that I continue to sub to TWIT+ every month aside from just supporting the network is so that I have access to the discord. It’s my favorite feature and was the only reason I joined the discord platform. Prior to TWIT+ I had heard of it but never gave it a shot. Now actively on about 5 servers at least weekly if not more. I think keeping this as a member only benefit will keep some people like myself subscribed. Heck in a month or so I’ll probably switch to the annual plan just to make sure I never miss a beat. :slight_smile:

Keep up the great work TWIT team, loving TWIT+ and all the twit social communities. (Both Paid and Free)

1 Like

This is the crux of my issue with Discord as a discussion platform. You could add all the dynamic and evolving content in the world but if the product isn’t built to facilitate navigation, curation and highlighting then it’ll always feel lacking in this regard. I also find the ephemeral nature of the thread functionality to be completely counter-productive to providing a good discussion platform.

Combine all this with the fact that you only have ~100 pixels on the left side dedicated to navigation, you get a product that isn’t designed to foster communication like a classic forum. I just don’t think that’s what Discord is going for.

To JTW’s point, I have seen some really creative “hacks” using channel titles, roles and bots to try and make up for some of these deficiencies. But it begs the question, why fight the product’s design intentions?

2 Likes

I am here once in a wile…

I have used TWiT’s Discord, IRC, and this platform. I far prefer this one as it (a) encourages longer and more thoughtful contributions, (b) is much easier to read, (c) doesn’t go scrolling by faster than I can read, and (d) is organized by topic. IRC is the worst for me though if I were a host I can see that the live feedback can be very helpful. Discord is just IRC with GIFs.
By the way, logging in to Discord has become so painful that I’ve given up – CAPTCHA is a terrible technology and, at least from my point of view, is a perfect example of the disdain felt by programmers for users (I wrote my first program in 1966 so I know whereof I speak).

2 Likes

This forum isn’t even linked to on the twit.tv main page if on mobile.

2 Likes

@Leo @PDelahanty is there a change that could be made to the mobile TWiT site to add a link to the community?

I assume its an oversight.

It’s complicated. I run this forum, I don’t fully control the web site. I run twit.social, I don’t fully control the web site.

1 Like

I thought I was crazy when I couldn’t find a link.
@Leo are you saying you can’t cross link the forum or the mastodon instance to TWiT.tv?

Yeah I’m saying that. Adding a link to the web site is problematic. Honestly I’m ok with that. I mention the forums and Mastodon on the shows. I want listeners here, not others particularly.

4 Likes

I didn’t even know this had a mastodon.
I only use the forum n occasionally the irc if i catch it live.

1 Like

You can find Leo’s Mastodon instance at TWiT.social .

4 Likes