Hello, is anybody home?

Where did everyone go in this forum? This used to be a good place to talk tech but it is now a ghost town. What a shame. I’ve moved over to MacPowerUsers forum. That is a very active forum with great technical conversation.

Anyways, I’ll keep checking here from time to time. I have to keep seeing what Ant is up to. Lol

2 Likes

Yeah it’s pretty quiet, I’m just assuming most people are in the club twit discord :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

The Discord is active but it seems like a lot of different people than were active here. The Discord is a way different experience as well. The various show channels get active while a show is recording, then tend to get quiet. In some ways it is more like a version of the IRC than this forum. There’s some good stuff there but it is much more chatty, and low density content in my opinion.

Yeah, if you scroll through the history of show posts the number of replies keeps going down. Not sure why.

1 Like

Agreed. It’s been quiet since Club TWiT and Discord launched.

2 Likes

I’ll hazard a guess that things were busier here when more people were more confined… now that most mandates are or have ended, and for the North American half of the planet now that warmer (i.e. more outdoor activity friendly) weather is coming. If you’re still working from home, and have no commute, and you can get out and about because fewer restrictions, you may even be consuming less media and you may be finding other ways to spend your time than online on forums.

I wasn’t aware activity had dropped. Speaking just for myself, I moved to a new house last November, and I’m still moving in, so my properties are all about getting boxes unboxed & stuff organized, and I’m doing way less with anything else. I’ll be active here again before the end of the year; I hope people are still here when I’m back to normal! I love this community.

4 Likes

Still here! I think activity dropped off a bit once the Discord got up and running. But I’ll be around as long as the site is up.

1 Like

Didn’t know there was a decrease in activity. Heck I see some folks in Discord are here in addition to being Club TWiT members. Thanks for popping in here

2 Likes

That is my main problem with Discord. The channels are quiet when I’m awake, then a mass garble comes when I’m offline. The community forums are much better structured and easier to follow, especially if you have to consume it asynchronously.

I’ve tried to use Discord, but it is just too disorganised and there are no threads of conversation, as there are here. I find Discord much hard to dip in and out of, which is why I don’t bother very often.

4 Likes

Agreed. IMHO Discord has a lot of work to do before it’s a viable discussion platform compared to a classic discussion forum - IF that’s even what they want to do with it. (should clarify, “they” as in the programmers behind Discord, not TWiT’s implementation of Discord)

The instances I maintain are primarily used for voice chat. Any text channels are used for announcements or non-conversational posting (memes, external links, etc).

In it’s current state it’s no replacement for a forum… but telling a user that they’re using it wrong is a vain effort :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

I primarily stay in brickhouse on discord unless I’m able to catch a show during live recording. Still loving popping over here to the forums since the discussions aren’t live and I can easily hop back in and out of conversations as needed. As always TWIT team, love everything you do for the community.

3 Likes

Twit IRC is a ghost town these days if there are no live shows. From a user that goes back to the upstairs at the cottage before Twit even started.

1 Like

Well given that Discord is just a front end evolution of IRC that isn’t too surprising I suppose.

1 Like

@Leo @ant_pruitt have you guys talked about how audience engagement is divided among IRC, Discord, and the forum? This could be an interesting discussion topic for an episode of Inside TWiT.

We have. It’s a fascinating dynamic. Some people treat Discord like IRC and end up hating it. Some use both irc and discord. Both have the ability for live interaction where the forum is post-show publishing. I have seen lots of messages about Discord. Polarizing. Personally, I try live interaction when on TWiG with both IRC and Discord. Challenging some days. Then I hit discord and forum post show in my down time to see what all of you are talking about. I hardly ever go into irc in down time or during reruns.

2 Likes

I can’t say “ghost town”, myself. Especially during broadcast time. Maybe less active when there isn’t a live broadcast.

Boy howdy, I thought I was just to dumb to grep the discordance.

Never really cared for IRC, but I believe that was mostly the UI of it to be honest. Wanted something a little more graphical. However I love using discord, both pre & post show. Also a lover of the forums. Was actually just talking with my wife about switching from the monthly plan to the yearly plan because I find such value you in Club TWIT.

2 Likes

I agree that it feels quieter here than it used to. Maybe there needs to be “events” or outreach for this forum specifically?

2 Likes