Episode 1 of the Tech Guy

I went back and just finished listening to episode #1 of the Tech Guy. It was really fun to hear. And, wow, have we come a long way.

Anyway, Leo, thanks for making that episode available.

Unfortunately, many of the other old shows are missing. But, there are still a lot of them there.

Those were the days…

I was in Texas, so I never knew anything about KFI at that time.

2 Likes

That sounds like fun, I’m gonna give it a listen now for a little dose of nostalgia!

1 Like

There was a chunk of shows that didn’t make it over to the new site (this was like 15 years ago). I never made much of an effort to recover them. I can if there’s interest.

4 Likes

It would be great to be able to go back and listen to them. The old episodes of the radio show are a trip back in time.

2 Likes

If it’s a matter of cataloging or something like that, I’d be interested in volunteering some time. I’m a bit of an archival nerd.

1 Like

I’ll ask Patrick. If they’re not on the server I might have to ask fans to send us their copies. I don’t think it’s very many.

1 Like

OK there are more missing than I realized. However, the bulk of them are available on Archive.org.

Here’s the deal. If you all are willing to help we can fix it on TWiT.tv. We need the four parters combined into a single part. You can email completed versions to leo@leo.fm.

Once we figure out which episodes are well and truly lost I can ask listeners if they have copies.

2 Likes

Sounds like a fun weekend project. Archive.org to the rescue!

1 Like

I can help. Since I don’t have edit access to the spreadsheet, I will start keeping track of it here. If you grant me access, I can go ahead and add it to your spreadsheet.

2 Likes

It would be cool if some of the missing episodes did get put back up.

I’m still listening to some of the older episodes on occasion. Listening to ones from 2006 currently.

It’s fun to hear about the older tech that was used at the time. Blast from the past.

On 1 episode I listened to last week, there was even a news alert from KFI talking about rockets being fired into Israel. And, for a second, I forgot I was listening to something from 2006… I was working on something and forgot I was listening to the Tech Guy. I was thinking that was current news (given what is happening now). Then, after a second, I remembered how old that news was…

1 Like

Aw man I totally forgot about this project. Need to make some time and dive back in. I had been trying to script out getting these episodes from the Internet Archive. The infrastructure is definitely there.

1 Like

The problem with the earliest episodes is that they’re posted in four parts. That doesn’t work with our current site’s setup. I merged them into one file in order to post Episode 1, but don’t have the time to do that for hundreds of episodes.

None of those are missing. We have copies of those on the site already.

I don’t see 311 or 312 there.

Considering there’s only 362 missing currently, that’s already A LOT better than after FourKitchens migrated the data before the 2015 site update. (They didn’t import literally hundreds of episodes and that issue wasn’t noticed for years…but I was able to fill in the holes for the more recent ones.)

2 Likes

Thanks for the update

Today I had to test some changes to the script the editors use to upload episodes. …so for lack of any new episodes to test uploading, I uploaded Tech Guy episodes 459, 460, and 461. 3 down…359 to go. :sweat_smile:

Also, FYI… I did add Episode 2’s show notes, but the audio does not seem to exist anywhere. Looks like it was never on the original site, so that means it wouldn’t be on Archive.org.

2 Likes

You da man!!! :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Thanks so much @PDelahanty - that’s well above and beyond!

2 Likes