Does Windows 10 auto-update to 11?

Hi there!

Just a quick question I have wondered about but did not remember the guys from WW talk about: does Windows 10 automatically update to 11? If yes: how would I prevent that? Anyone? Anyone? @MaryJo ? :slight_smile:

I really hope that this will not happen, at least not yet. Sooner or later, I’d be surprised if Microsoft would not try to pull the rug from under its consumers’ feet and make it so.

At least at the moment, it has to be manually started. There are some registry changes you can make to block it.

In the registry \HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\

• add a DWORD TargetReleaseVersion and set its value to 1
  • Change TargetReleaseVersionInfo to 21H1 (or 21H2).
3 Likes

So they say no. IT can use tools like GPO to block it.
Microsoft also says consumers will be able to refuse it when it’s offered to them, but they have declined to say how this will work so far.

1 Like

Thanks for this insight, guys! :slight_smile:

You can use the Group Policy tool for Windows Pro and it can be enabled on Home. Here’s a pic from me having done it on a PC (that is not actually capable of running it anyway, so this was just a test to see if I could get rid of the “nag message” (which it did not.)) Note that this will forever lock you to one specific version, as specified, and you will need to eventually update it to something like 21H2 when that releases.

[Hmmm, having problems uploading the picture… must be too big. I will try to resize it some, and hope the usefulness is not eliminated.]

Well it seems like Discourse is having a bad day, so try here: https://snipboard.io/sTkqZb.jpg

Press START then start typing gpedit.msc and run it with elevation. After, you may also want to start an elevated CMD prompt and run gpupdate, to make sure it applies right away.

1 Like

I read that windows 11 is just an tool fur training on the move to arm do I don’t think so.