"Dad what is a computer?"

My little one, use iPad’s since she was 6.
She “loses” at least one per year (some also find their way to friends or classmates, …)
The only time she sees a Computer in action is when my wife makes backups of her
iPhone.

I use PC’s literally since they exist, and I tried, really hard, to show her how much more
flexible a PC can be and what you can do without the Limitation of a “closed” system.

Today we bought “Stardew Valley” for her iPad and my Windows 2 in 1.
The game downloaded and installed within Minutes on her iPad.

And his happened on my Computer:
MS at Work 2020-04-08 11_25_07-Window

She offered me a mild smile and I knew that this battle is lost.

3 Likes

I would like to think an iPad is a more “refined” type of computer. But really, blame the OS.

2 Likes

As the tech support person for a number of friends and family I have been called in to “recover” a non-responsive iPad many times. They still crash on occasion, but when they do, the person using them has no clue what happened or why, nor any means to investigate or knowledge of how to recover.

2 Likes

Good Point!
I’m normally the guy who gets the call from “family” and “friends / neighbors”. We keep a spare iPad & keyboards around which can be set up in a heartbeat. This gives us enough time to check what went wrong with the owners iPad (or even send it in).
The bigger problem are all the different iPad cases and how people are stuck to them. So I made a decision last year, that everyone who wanna be part of our “Tribal IT Circle” has to life with a grey and black design. They almost lynched me :wink:

Since many in our circle converted now to an iPad (a lot of them are privateers and/or “retired” people) the weekend calls to fix a windows computer are history. Many of them where already iPhone owner, so was no hazzle with birthday- and anniversary reminders or syncing the gazillion Addresses (People are such Number hoarder)
Also no more f.ing around with apps form the Google Android Store that run on Tablet A but not Tablet B. IMHO Google has dropped the ball here (again).

1 Like

Tablets and Smart Phones are computers.
They are even more “Personal” than Personal Computers, so actually deserve the acronym P.C. more than a desktop rig.

My android phone is never used as a phone. I use it as a portable computer.

2 Likes

Maybe they should be ultra personal computers :slight_smile:

1 Like

software life sure is simple when there’s only a single chipset to code for

1 Like

iOS was, so far not, quite easy to “personalize”. But therefore, less confusing for many users.
Recent leeks showed that Apple is at least thinking about changes.
Not sure that’s even a good thing.

1 Like

I guess it is, but I personally do not consider a phone or a Ipad a “computer.” But, I know that’s just a personal opinion. When I think of computer, I do not think of that. I think of something with a keyboard natively. I know you can hook one up to many phones and tablets, but still…

I know… Just my personal craziness

1 Like