COVID-19 Tech Thread

Interesting page giving live view of Covid related sites being registered for various purposes… https://thugcrowd.com/covid-19/

From: https://blog.malwarebytes.com/scams/2020/03/coronavirus-scams-found-and-explained/

1 Like

Available in the US March 26th (Shame it uses 2 advert libraries !)

New FDA-authorized COVID-19 test does not need a lab and can produce results in 5-minutes. The test from healthcare technology maker Abbott sounds encouraging. Reference Link

2019 Census: 328M divided by 50K tests per day = 6560 days or ~18 yrs to test everyone. With 16% 65 and older will take ~3 yrs to test. Sad facts.

1 Like
4 Likes

How soon will it be required to have a medical ID or scannable implant that allows passage thru all kinds of check-points? This would provide tracking an individuals last infectious disease screening. Science Fiction?

1 Like

As a Christian I will refuse to take this mark. However I do believe you are likely right and this will usher in just that.

3 Likes

I also believe we are seeing the beginnings of such required medical ID from all the emphasis put on testing. 1st it was: “Testing will provide us better data in order to make appropriate decisions.” Next: “Testing will allow us to quarantine infected people and allow others to return to work”. How many companies will begin, if not already, requiring their employees provide testing results before returning to work? Next, employers who operate under state licenses will be required to report and keep records of employee testing results. Is this what it will take to move us back to rebuilding our economy?

1 Like

I imagine it would tie to whatever covid app our countries force… “encourage” us to use.
Or some sort of dog-tag.

Another handy resource I missed

1 Like

My employer is currently requiring for anyone sent home or calls in sick to provide a note from their doctor stating they are Covid-19 free and are safe to return to work. We had a few employees who simply wanted a day off who tried to use the coronovirus as an excuse not to report to work. However they where advised if that if they wish remain employed the needed checked my a physician. They all have complied so far.

3 Likes

My employer is having to up the bandwidth available for VPN from 1Gbps to 10Gbps due to extra people working from home. 1Gbps was rather small for the potential number of users working from home.

1 Like

Many of my customers are running into the same issue. The need to up their bandwidth to support everyone working remotely.

With the existing 4 hour test, Germany is testing around 50,000 a day. With the new Bosch or French 10 minute tests, they are hoping to increase that to around 500,000 a day.

They have also increased the number of ICU beds from 28,000 to 50,000 and the number of ventilators from 20,000 to 40,000 this week.

3 Likes

Simply amazing Germany could knock out enough tests to cover a population of 8.6M in ~17 days. To think it would take ~2M tests per day for 6-months to cover our US population remains discouraging.

3 Likes

“The virus can remain in the air up to three hours before dropping to the ground or the nearest surface.” This statement was posted by Dr. Gabe Mirkin. Stay away from people as much as you can Reference Link

2 Likes

Things do change as we learn more, but at this time, I believe this is not scientifically supported.

And additionally, that doesn’t mesh with what we are experiencing in reality. If it were airborne at that level, we’d all already probably be infected, and it would be basically impossible to go anywhere public (such as to get groceries) without contracting it. People wearing masks (mostly incorrectly), thinking the air is dangerous, are forgetting the fact that their eyes are as much at risk as their nose or mouth… and passing through contaminated air would cause the infection too. There is a reason why medical professionals wear face shields during dangerous procedures like intubation.

2 Likes

From the WHO Modes of transmission:
"Airborne transmission is different from droplet transmission as it refers to the presence of microbes within droplet nuclei, which are generally considered to be particles <5μm in diameter, can remain in the air for long periods of time and be transmitted to others over distances greater than 1 m. "

"In the context of COVID-19, airborne transmission may be possible in specific circumstances and settings in which procedures or support treatments that generate aerosols are performed; i.e., endotracheal intubation, bronchoscopy, open suctioning, administration of nebulized treatment, manual ventilation before intubation, turning the patient to the prone position, disconnecting the patient from the ventilator, non-invasive positive-pressure ventilation, tracheostomy, and cardiopulmonary resuscitation. "

"At the same time, other countries and organizations, including the US Centers for Diseases Control and Prevention and the European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control, recommend airborne precautions for any situation involving the care of COVID-19 patients, and consider the use of medical masks as an acceptable option in case of shortages of respirators (N95, FFP2 or FFP3).18-19 "

I agree, covering your nose and mouth without eye protection remains an issue. Using curbside pickup, delivery services, and shipments from online ordering still seems best. Stay home and avoid others as much as possible.

No one is questioning the benefits of those mitigations. FREQUENT hand washing, coughing into your arm, avoiding contact with others (in general and most especially outside of the home unit) are all known to flatten the curve. My point to you above was there is NO evidence that the disease is airborne in general. Immediately after someone expels particulates it poses a danger inside the 6 foot radius. But after the event itself, there is no current belief that anything dangerous remains airborne. The Doctor you quoted implied otherwise, and I think this is just fear mongering. We need people to be intelligently cautious, not so fearful that they make a bad situation worse my making dumb decisions.

There is a potential benefit to using a mask while getting your groceries, if the mask is well fitted and IF you are also doing the hand washing and if you avoiding fiddling with the mask. The biggest benefit is probably for OTHERS in the case you are a carrier. I do really worry that people who do wear a mask suddenly think they’re receiving more benefit than they really are… and thus the reason why I mentioned the eyes. The best advice is still staying out of range of others… social distancing is most likely going to offer you more tangible benefits than wearing a mask.

2 Likes

A COV19 message for all…