Can Ryzen 3 get more attention?

This is not the kind of attention getting Ryzen needs :frowning: I wonder how many bad security keys have been generated (think crypto coin wallets.)

3 Likes

Iā€™ve ordered a ryzen for a pc am building from scratch (hopefully all parts come tomorrow) I chose a ryzen 5 3600x. Along with a Radeon 5700. My last build was like 10 years old was an i5 and Nvidia . Havenā€™t had an AMD since Athlon days so am excited

1 Like

I was looking at the 3600X as well. Awesome single thread speed and incredibly affordable

That sounds like a great buildā€¦ I predict youā€™re gonna love your new machine. Do note that RAM makes a big difference, and is pretty well priced these days. I would recommend 16GB or even 32GB if your budget allows.

1 Like

Good point about RAM, Ryzen is sensitive to the timing of the RAM. It doesnā€™t have to be expensive or fast, it just needs to meet some minimums, so look for a guide on this. Here is one

1 Like

My Ryzen 3 Hackintosh runs Great! love it Overclocks to 4.2 stable.

4 Likes

AMD wants nearly $4000 for the 64 core Threadripper 3990X. That surely grabbed my attention!

This is a good price for the corporation, but I thought that was what EPYC was for, so I donā€™t understand their pricing if this is supposed to be a HEDT part. HEDT should probably have an upper price on the order of $2K for the CPU. So they need a new category for ā€œpeople who have more money than brainsā€.

EPYC is for servers. This is high end desktop workstation territory. This is for people who need that much power, high end rendering, complex compilation, video rendering (not editing) etc. If you are doing that sort of work and need that sort of power, it is affordable, compared to the Intel solutions.

1 Like

Not that it matters, but I donā€™t agree. High End Desktop is NOT High End Workstation in my opinion. The traditional HEDT market is not companies, itā€™s enthusiast PC people with money to burn to have the very bestā€¦ i.e. high end gamers. The prices were generally targeted to be about $2000 or less to keep the price of machine with a good video card and reasonable MOBO and RAM under around $5k. Times change, I guess, but no gamer is spending this kind of moneyā€¦ so I really donā€™t get who they think the target is.

Quoting from the end of the article I linked above:

But this sort of processor is not aimed at gamers. It is for people who need to do heavy processing.

A Ryzen 7 or Core i7 would probably be more cost effective and a better performer for 99% of gaming. Games are rarely designed with highly parallel workloads that will need more than a couple of threads. Even the smaller Threadrippers or the Core i9 are overkill for most gaming rigs.

Yes, you and I know this, but if you google for meaning or definition one of the things you find is:

I guess this high core count is now only of value to content creators who are making it big time enough to afford the cost of this kind of CPU.

Indeed. Desktop is different from workstation. Threadripper is great for massively parallel workloads such as rendering. Epyc processors are designed for high throughput in a server environment.

2 Likes

I guess that is what happens when you let a giant sloth caught napping define a moving target. :smiley:

2 Likes

A friend linked me to this and I just had to share it here for the LOLZ

3 Likes

I built my new pc last night got the 3600x at a good price got it with 2 8gb 3200 Corsair and a m2 Samsung ( I canā€™t believe how small drives have got) and I got a Radeon 5700. The only bad choice was the motherboard but it works and I donā€™t need to overclock.
This is replacing a 5 year i5 4670k .
Wow am happy everything is just fast and smooth.

First And since the Athlon days

2 Likes

My last AMD, before my current Ryzen was a 2004 Athlon 64. My first generation Ryzen 1700 is awesome, just right for experimenting with multiple VMs.

PCPer has a review of the top of the non HEDT line of 3rd gen Ryzen CPUs, the 3950x. In a few words, they would call it awesome and worth the wait.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s a Ryzen 9, not a 3

2 Likes

Fair enough, I should have said (and have now edited it to say) 3rd gen Ryzens. Itā€™s damn annoying that we use numbers for the generation, the model level, and for the specific modelā€¦ but I donā€™t have a better approach.

2 Likes