Can Ryzen 3 get more attention?

I’ve been on Ryzen for almost 2yrs now, I think. I love it. But it’s on a desktop, not a laptop. So I have pretty good airflow blowing through. (not water cooled)

(RAM was later upgraded)

3 Likes

Can that 1st Gen chipset support a 3rd Gen CPU? I’m curious. @ant_pruitt

1 Like

It is supposed to work, if the MOBO manufacturer offers the BIOS update that adds the updated AGESA.

It certainly works in the reverse, where the X570 or X470 (and other models) can support gen 1, 2 or 3.

2 Likes

Wikipedia says the x370 only supports Zen2 (Gen3) CPUs in Beta. That’s not too promising. @ant_pruitt should do an on screen upgrade!

2 Likes

Are there any rumor articles about the Ryzen mobile chips Microsoft mentioned? I don’t think I’ve seen any articles that had specifics or rumors of specifics.

1 Like

Not sure if this one from the TWiCH show counts for you? Microsoft’s new custom Surface processors with AMD and Qualcomm: an inside look - The Verge

Also, I think this is actually based on 2nd gen Ryzen and not 3rd.

2 Likes

Thanks @PHolder, so basically we only know general info. And wow that would suck if it was Gen 2.

1 Like

I just confirmed that the Microsoft Surface® Edition - AMD Ryzen™ 5 3580U and AMD Ryzen™ 7 3780U will be Gen 2 (AMD Zen+) so that sucks. They are basically CPUs released back in January with slightly better graphics. Too bad. The links are below…
https://www.amd.com/en/products/apu/amd-ryzen-5-3580u-microsoft-surface-edition
https://www.amd.com/en/products/apu/amd-ryzen-7-3780u-microsoft-surface-edition

Well everyone, have a good night. See you in many more months with the Gen 3 mobile processors finally come out…

2 Likes

I am soooo happy TWiT 739 talked so much about Ryzen Gen3. It was great hearing the other host’s opinions. Now we just need Gen3 mobile processors. But at least the Epyc server chips are coming out. OMG look at the preliminary numbers
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

1 Like

I’m so happy @ant_pruitt has an AMD PC.

2 Likes

I hereby declare a campaign for @ant_pruitt to be upgraded from his current 1st Gen to a 3rd Gen Ryzen 7 3700X with an x570 Mobo like the PCPer HighEndSystem recommendation… Its worth a shot anyways… Gooooooo @ant_pruitt … I declare!!!, LOL

3 Likes

hahahahahaha! thanks for the endorsement :laughing:

2 Likes

Let’s do it @ant_pruitt - get me the cost and I’ll write you a check.

4 Likes

That warms my heart :heart: have fun @ant_pruitt

1 Like

Linus going AMD is a good sign. He has some indirect, mainstream crossover influence, so even some non-techies should start becoming aware of AMD performance and value now.

2 Likes

Cool, I didn’t know you could add Thunberbolt 3 with an addin card. It makes perfect sense.

Yeah, and the ITX board I’m getting for hackintosh build has native TB3 (as does the ATX board in the video, which is also an ASRock board). Hoping it just works out of box with MacOS.

A couple of OEM specific models of Ryzen 3 CPUs for prebuilt PC’s:

1 Like

i’m queuing up his vid. THANKS for sharing