Brave Browser -- Gonna try it out more regularly thanks to Leo

Thanks for the link. I may try it out on my phone.

I own a Chromebox and two Chromebooks. If Chrome bothered me, I wouldn’t have 3 of them. So, it’s not a big deal to me.

2 Likes

I’ve used Brave as my main browser on Windows, Linux and MAC for a while now. I don’t participate in the Brave Rewards, and in settings I “Hide Brave Rewards button”.

I really like Brave, since Chromium wasn’t as easily deployed on all OS. I especially like that I don’t need an addon for ad blocking, and a simple click of the brave icon in the right of the url bar lets me turn off the blocking per site. Now if Google messes with UBlock Origin’s ability to effectively function, it won’t affect me.

I was listening to a podcast from another network where the two presenters had switched over to Brave on their Macs, but have now switched back after experiencing lockups and 100% CPU utilisation while they were trying to do recordings with Brave open.

Their theory was that because Brave is based on an older core than the current Chrome, there could be unfixed bugs in there. Not something that will probably affect most users, but always worth bearing in mind in case you do get any unexplained lockups.

3 Likes

I’ve been using Brave for months. Tried Firefox. Brave just seems more streamlined. Love it. Super fast. The only issue is syncing bookmarks. When I install it on another computer, it sometimes doubles up the bookmarks.

1 Like

Only real issue I’ve had is that the ad blocking causes some sites to display in a less favourable way than Firefox+Ublock Origin. However, it is fast and I like the fact that it uses the Chromium UI + plugins, thus is a good replacement for Chrome in the lead-up to the Manifest V3 anti-adblocking shenanigans.

2 Likes

I’ve been using Brave almost for a year on Macs and iOS devices. The macOS version is as good as any browser but the iOS version has gone backwards as sync no longer works. I’ll keep using it but I am disappointed.

1 Like

I use Brave on my Linux Mint Laptop and on my Iphone. So far I am happy with it and it seems to work well. I still like using my Firefox, but it is nice that Brave gives me so much privacy.

Randy

2 Likes

I have been trying Brave on both MacOS and IOS devices and found it good. The version on the Mac seems pretty quick (about as fast as Firefox and Safari). The privacy features are good. The IOS version is far less impressive. Slow to load occasionally and crashes often. Like most things in life, the choice is personal. I will stick with Firefox on the Mac and Safari on the phone and IPad.

3 Likes

I started using Brave since they started supporting Brave Ads in the country I’m currently in. The built-in ad-blocker, and the rewards system is a plus.

I recommend this browser to people who are used to Chrome, and are looking for an alternative.

4 Likes

I’ve been using Brave on Windows, iPadOS, & Android for about 6 months, and I am really impressed with its speed and stability. Its nice to block ads without having to install an extension, and I haven’t felt the need to install Privacy Badger either. I also use startpage.com as my default search engine in Brave. I’ve only used Chrome once or twice since installing Brave, and then only by accident. I don’t sync bookmarks and settings between platforms because I use them all differently, but on iPadOS it did lose all my bookmarks after an update. No real biggie and easily recovered.

Been using for a month. Some issues on Google Drive (annoying “use Cntl C, . . .” message), but generally working well. I got 3 of 4 devices (laptop, phone, one desktop) to sync, but the 4th reliably fails. As another poster noted, a known issue.

I used Brave for awhile when Leo first switched to it earlier this year. I was interested in it but also, I was frustrated with some graphics issues I kept having between Chrome and Slack, plus memory usage was bananas. It worked ok but I did start having a lot of memory problems and weird graphic blips and screen freezes. I think the problem had more to do with Slack being an Electron app than Chrome as I eventually experienced the same issues between Brave and Slack. I switched over to Firefox which helped with the graphics issues but Slack was still a memory hog. I’ve been running Slack in Firefox which seems to have helped but I don’t get all the same features as I would if I ran it in a Chromium-based browser.

I like Brave, but I don’t see a way to sync extensions between instances, that makes it a bit cumbersome.

I just set up brave on all my devices. So far I am pleased. Before I had some tabs open in Chrome and some open in Safari, since things worked better in one of the other. All my normal webpages work well with Brave.

I I was able to set up the four extensions I use: Lastpass, Goggle Translate. Camelizer, and Downi.

I also took the opportunity to import my bookmarks from all my browsers and consolidate them.

Syncing Brave between devices was easy too.

So far the biggest thing I like about it, is that I am not seeing moving ads. I can not concentrate if something is bouncing around in my field of vision. Some ads are so intrusive that it renders the webpage unusable for me.

Update: I have found that the microphone doesn’t work in Brave. This is bothersome since I study languages on line, using Duolingo. I looked around the various forums and couldn’t find a work around for this. I am back to using two browsers again.

2 Likes

I am in the Apple ecosystem and bookmark syncing worked for me. One thing I did was export my bookmarks to html files, then loaded those into Brave. Once I did that and ran the sync all was well.

1 Like

Brave is based on open source Chromium. @Leo, perhaps Leo could explain it with a bit more authority than me.

1 Like

thanks to everybody on the thread for suggesting Brave. I have used it for a little while and am amazed at the cookies and such blocked. It loads so much faster than firefox.

2 Likes

I gave it a try but I’m going to have to drop it, too buggy on Windows 10.
It continues to randomly fail to start, even if I try to start it directly from C:\Program Files (x86)\BraveSoftware\Brave-Browser\Application\brave.exe.
From looking at the forums this problem has been around for over a year.
The ads say completely redone and made better? I don’t think so.
It also shows this and I can’t change it.

2 Likes

Well advertised and produced and Brave still couldn’t pull it off!? Yikes.

From other replies it appears to be a custom build of Google Chrome. The “Your browser is managed…” message will display itself in any Chrome browser in Windows 10 as well.

I would point out there are other options if all you want to do is block ads or javascript trackers.

• Pi-hole (For Raspberry Pi/VM/Docker/Linux)
  • VyOS - You can install a router on an older machine or VM and use it’s web proxy capabilities for ads, trackers and more. I use this squidguard blacklist which is currently the most extensive. It is known to work exactly the same on Cisco and Ubiquiti routers as well.
4 Likes

Would you be willing to share those reasons? I’m curious but no need to answer!