Best coffee at home?

Hmmm I don’t see it. Perhaps we need a level set:

To me it is closer to a:

1 Like

I have to disagree with this. The methods listed in this article can make very good coffee, but they won’t make espresso.

1 Like

I love my Keurig, particularly using Peet’s Major Dickason’s Blend - very nice! I also use it to brew Twining’s English Breakfast and Earl Gray tea! I like the Earl Gray with a splash of Irish Whiskey

1 Like

Don’t worry about it. To us this is as local and good quality as it gets. Starbucks still has locally owned stores just like yours and price competitively with other name brands.

I do agree though, it is quite puzzling from a market perspective.

The shape and appearance look the SAME! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

You guys are wearing me down. Do you know what an espresso is, for the audience, please?

1 Like

Off hand, I’d define espresso as the way Italian strong coffee is made (it being an Italian word.) More specifically, usually a darker roast of coffee, usually made at a ratio of 1:1 or 1:1.5 packed coffee grounds to water. The particular thing about a good espresso is that it’s neither under nor over extracted, and is extracted relatively quickly at a high pressure (9 bars.) It usually has a nice crema and it’s surprisingly not bitter at all if done well.

If you’d prefer more a definitive answer, James Hoffmann has a series of videos, starting here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTFsBqhpLes

3 Likes

I make my espresso with the Nespresso machine

Peet’s for the win!..

1 Like

I prefer dark roasted Sumatran or Costa Rican beans.

I’ll prepare either in a french press, moka pot or aero-press. Each produces a different cup using the same bean. Sometimes I’ll use two of the three processes and combine before drinking.

Surprised no one has mentioned aero-press before now. Rather close to traditional espresso. I prepare it “upside down.” I assemble the two cylindrical pieces, add grounds and water (about 190 degrees F) and steep. Only then do I screw the filter on and invert over a mug and press down.

I’ve put the espresso machine in a drawer. It’s more work and more mess so unless I’m pulling 4 shots or more, I don’t use it. I will froth milk, but prefer more foam than milk, more macchiato than cappuccino. My definition of macchiato is espresso marked with foam, but there are other definitions.

But above all, drink what YOU like. Don’t let the coffee police tell you are doing it wrong.

2 Likes