ATG 1974: I'm a G-Noob!

Beep boop - this is a robot. A new show has been posted to TWiT…

What are your thoughts about today’s show? We’d love to hear from you!

A great option to get kids cioding us code.org run by the brilliant Hadi Partovi who brought the hour of code to the world.

The site has tons of gamified lessons using both block and syntax based lessons. Hadi is just the nicest guy if you ever find an excuse to have him on a show, hes up in Bellevue Wa, if you ever visit MS

1 Like

I recently replaced MacOS with Linux on my 2014 MacBook Pro.

Things I learned:

• Your best bet is an Ubuntu-based distro. They’re more likely to support enough of the hardware out of the box to complete the installation without plugging an ethernet USB adapter in. I saw Ubuntu 22.04 recommended in particular for MacBooks, and it’s what I went with.
  • Forget the webcam. Your laptop doesn’t have a webcam anymore.
  • The trackpad wasn’t an issue, or at least not enough of an issue that I remember doing anything about it.
  • The wifi… Ohh boy, the wifi. Start here: Broadcom wireless - ArchWiki
  • If you don’t have an ethernet USB adapter, buy one. I got one for $5. That’s the easiest way to get the wifi working again when a kernel update breaks it. When I had to deal with that, every post and article I found was written under the assumption that my laptop with non-functioning wifi had access to the internet. :melting_face:
  • Battery life is pretty bad now. I started looking into software to manage it better but haven’t actually tried anything just yet. (Episode 1971 of ATG has some relevant info.)
  • I do get better performance now than I was getting with MacOS Mojave.

Leo you need to learn how to use DND you can just “mute” notification’s without seeing any of those choices, just tap it instead of pressing it.