Ask the Tech Guy General Discussion

If you hang around tech for long enough, you’ll run into an old saw about “the year of desktop Linux”… the premise being that it’s always coming and never yet quite arrives.

As a software developer, I love Linux. A lot of software development “history” comes from events on Unix (Bell Labs and Berkeley among others.) Many tools and software development approaches were created along the way to solving early computer systems problems in Unix.

Unfortunately, I don’t think any OS has a 100% command line free mode. It may be that 99.9% of the time, so long as everything goes well, you’ll never need a command line. There are debugging and recovery tools that are command line only… probably because they are so little used that the effort of creating a GUI was viewed as not worth the effort. For example in Windows, if you have a PC that is powering up from “sleep” mode when you don’t expect it… as far as I know the only way to investigate this is at the command line “powercfg /lastwake”.

For command lines that you do need very unoccasionally, it’s quite easy to learn how to make a text script file with the one command in it, and named something meaningful for you. And many command lines also have support for aliases that allow you to substitute short commands for longer.

I always felt Linux was being created by developers who like to work on command lines. This makes sense because most programming is still done in text files to this day. (There are some visual tools for specific things, but in general serious development is still done in text code.)

All that said, the ability to use Linux without a command line a majority of the time has gotten better and better over the years. If you have a GUI based software installer (a means to add and manage new programs) that let you get GUI based apps that allow you to do what you want to do with a PC, then you can be quite happy in a Linux GUI. It can even feel quite familiar to other GUI based OSes.

If you have a powerful enough machine, you can experiment trying all sorts of Linux distributions (check out https://distrowatch.com/ to see just how many there are, you’ll probably be amazed.) To do that, check out VirtualBox from Oracle ( https://www.virtualbox.org/ ). It’s completely free, and will let you use some space on your hard drive to simulate a whole new PC, into which you can install another OS like Linux to play. The virtual machine will run somewhat slower than if it wasn’t virtualized, but if your PC is fast enough, that probably won’t matter at all. Some of the Linux distributions even come in multiple flavours that basically mean they have different styles of GUIs pre-installed. The GUIs have names like Gnome and KDE, but you can see some example pictures from Fedora (as just one example) here: https://spins.fedoraproject.org/ )

In the end it boils down to your willingness to learn a few new things and to accept some differences between what you know well and what you will get to know. The best thing about Linux might well be that there is no cost to play around, if you’re of a mind to tinker. Have fun exploring!

Edit: Linking to this other post I wrote, to link them together, in case that’s helpful Linux - How to get started - #6 by PHolder

2 Likes