Anyone here from the African continent or have friends still there?

Originally from Ghana but now live in WI and I’m trying to find other techies who have friends on the continent who have or know people with 3D printers.
Some friends in Italy shared some resources to help build face masks to better support patients who need to be on oxygen or ventilators for support.
Been trying to reach out to the local 3D printer services to see if i can get prices to produce a few hundred but I imagine with the state shutdowns some are either laid off or closed.
So I want to see who I can find continent-side to start making some now.

5 Likes

Although this person is UK based she has contacts in IoT and 3D maker communities worldwide. Might know someone who knows someone…

1 Like

Also she retweeted a link for making facemasks (not medical) to a pattern supposedly approved by the Belgian public health service. Including that just in case it’s useful.

1 Like

Ah I was sent this one from a friend’s husband who is in Italy helping;

1 Like

I am based in Lagos Nigeria

A friend has a 3D Printer in his Academy at Ilorin (300km North of Here)

The country is being gradually shutdown though, it started with interstate movement restrictions last week and the news is that Lagos and Abuja will be on full movement restriction by Tuesday, March 31

Collection of resources regarding ventilators / masks. Has some worldwide info, nothing specifically for Africa yet but I’m sure they’d welcome additions:

1 Like

You should contact https://www.dailymaverick.co.za as they have an international readership and are very tech savvy.
I visit the site often and what I see worries me. While the rich countries are worrying for themselves, all manner of hell is being unleashed in various parts of Africa.
Miners rights are getting swept aside and the security services are abusing people more than ever under the cover of this.

2 Likes

never a better time for unscrupulous governments to hide abuses than a crisis.

1 Like

Abuses and fast opportunities to line their pockets with funds to ‘important projects’ that may or may not actually work.
A few month ago I had been looking into getting some equipment imported to ghana to start working on some open source ecology services and the minimum to implement it excluding state taxes in Gha was $45K… This project is trying to do much more with just $10k ( https://sli-covid-19.ghanatechlab.com/ )
But I applied anyway watching my inbox closely to see who starts trying to contact me directly via private email to solicit partnerships. I’ve had this happen so many times before following a request for bids on projects.
Really annoying especially when its for critical projects and you just end up clashing over how to spend funds on the right equipment. I really hope they put aside greed and focus on the critical needs of the public, I’m definitely sceptically optimistic about folks waking up to be more active in the affairs of their leadership.
@Dr.Flay @Clayton @inyangeffiong
Thanks for the infor I’m checking them all out!!!

CAA

2 Likes

Thanks, this is a useful link

I suspect we have less than a 100 ventilators across the country