Andy Ihnatko - is he an Apple maven AND a Google guy?

Is anyone wondering (like I am!), if Andy is more a Google guy or an Apple guy?? Seems like he is well versed in both worlds! I really love Andy and would like to see him on AAA and TWiG as well as MBW

1 Like

So let me get this right: you’re saying his decades of experience are useless and he brings no valuable insight to the round table? If that is what you think you’re saying then I think you’re hoping for people spouting only opinions you share to add to your confirmation bias.

I would add that on many occasions Leo has been quite negative toward Apple and that he chose for many months to use a Microsoft product to host the show and that he recommends and prefers Linux. Would you suggest Leo isn’t a valuable member of the MacBreak crew too?

7 Likes

I agree Pholder. He has many many years of knowledge and experience, and has eaten the dog food for a very long time. Whether he is today using the device or not is irrelevant to the amount of knowledge that he can contribute. His input is greatly desired, approved, and applauded. He also gives a great viewpoint, and oftentimes defends Apple, but is honest and forthcoming if there are any failings of the company. He is never blind to admit when there is something wrong with it, or too big to admit that he is wrong when he states something incorrect.
Keep up the great work Andy. We need your input!

And you’re very entertaining to watch/listen to! :slight_smile:

7 Likes

NO, I asked everyone’s opinion on something I have been noticing as I watch MBW every week. Leo, as he is dumping on Apple’s foibles, is also USING Apple products a lot! Maybe I was not clear with my post - I am very fond of Andy and he is a great voice for technology

1 Like

I’m totally happy that MacBreak Weekly has someone who will fairly judge Apple products. He was the first person I can recall pointing out the terrible keyboard on the MacBooks, and that even though he loved the OS, he had to purchase a Windows 10 machine because Apple had decided that thinness was more important than comfort or productivity.

The company is selling a premium-priced product and should be held to a high standard. Andy represents those of us who have limited disposable income and need to make sure that the things we buy fit our needs and work well for a long time.

5 Likes

Fair enough, of course, the gist of my comment is that Andy seems to be more of a Google guy than an Apple guy these days…maybe AAA or TWiG would be a better fit…not a slur on Andy, of whom I am very fond, and if he were on AAA or TWiG I would watch him there

He does the Material podcast with Flo.

3 Likes

Andy is a technology guy. He’s a photography guy. He’s a hyper-intelligent guy. He’s just not an Apple apologist. His commitment seems to people getting value for their money and using what works for them. He is currently evaluating an iPhone and an Apple Watch loaned to him by Apple… so I don’t think you can call him unwilling to have Apple show him the value they bring… and I trust him to judge it objectively.

Spelling mistake aside, this is sexist. Please refrain from sexism.

5 Likes

Wasn’t meant to be a sexist remark - apparently I’m not explaining what I was trying to say very well. I like Andy A LOT…just wondering if he wouldn’t be better off these days on AAA or TWiG since he also is a fan of Google - that’s all

I’m not ragging on Andy - I like him

1 Like

I used to be a big MBW fan, but the rest of the hosts only say good things about Apple. I don’t know what’s real anymore when I listen to that show. Andy being there brings some perspective and but his concerns get skipped over in the discussion. Perhaps because he rambles a little too much, but I can look past that. I love him and I love him being there. But I stopped listening to MBW about 3 months ago :cry: . I was a dedicated listener for over 4 years. I wish they could all be more critical like the hosts on all of the other shows.

5 Likes

I am still watching MBW every week, but I get your point for sure

I only watch MacBreak Weekly for Andy, and wouldn’t watch if it he weren’t on the show.

3 Likes
2 Likes

Thank you Paul - appreciated - I just subscribed👍🏻

1 Like

Maybe that’s true for certain episodes, but definitely not all. There’s been some shade thrown Apple’s way by some hosts. About the MacBook keyboard, lack of innovation, and failures with the 2013 Mac Pro… and I’m sure there’s more that’s not coming to mind at the moment. They’re positive about Apple, but they’re honest.

3 Likes

Doesn’t Andy use a MBP for daily use and an iPad for other things? If so then I think it makes him an ideal MBW host. Plus he brings a unique perspective to the show.

2 Likes

Sure. I just want them to be more self critical. Everyone can improve.

1 Like

LoL, @MacPhyle, I just realized your username is MacPhyle, LoL.

2 Likes

I would characterize Andy as a Philosopher of Technology. He is neither Apple or Android but brand agnostic. I love Andy.

6 Likes