Now that Lory has moved on to a career at The "Fruit" Company, who should replace her on MacBreak Weekly?

Replacement for the Wonderful Lory Gil
  • Dave Hamilton
  • Doc Rock
  • Adam Engst
  • Rosemary Orchard
  • Rotating “Special Guest”
  • Other

0 voters

If you vote for “Other”, please indicate who in the comment section.

Andy Ihnatko. Yes, he’s a rambler given to pedantry, but always with a fine-grained eye toward the highest possible ethos, even and especially when inconvenient and uncomfortable, which is particularly admirable in today’s media—and even more so punditry—climate. Maybe he’s already considered a regular, but if that’s not been fully the case…

He’s been a regular for quite some time. Even guest hosted on several occasions.

They are all great choices so it’s hard to select between anyone in the list, fairly. I believe at least for now, use every one on the list in rotation so we can benefit from having all of them.

Never like to speak ill of a community old-timer, and maybe I’m in the minority here, but I would be chagrined were Merlin Mann to prove Lory’s replacement. He’s why I don’t listen to RecDiff’s (despite my affinity for Siracusa) and anything else he’s on. Personal pereference. MacBreak has been one of my favorite TWiT shows…

3 Likes

I agree most wholeheartedly- mostly silliness

1 Like

Honestly I think Leo, Rene and Andy are a good balance of opinions and expertise to leave the 4th spot open for a optional guest when available.

4 Likes

Leave it empty for the occasional return of Alex Lindsay.

4 Likes

I always enjoy Lexy Savvides when she is on any of TWIT shows. While she writes about & reviews products from both Apple & other companies, she does seem to have an affinity for Apple products. Having a woman on the show helps balance Andy, Leo, & Rene.

John C Dvorak is my pick for Lory’s replacement

1 Like

I am not quite familiar with each guest or regular on an intimate basis but FWIW I believe the status quo and gender should remain, and as such, there should always be a female voice if there is a need to replace a female host unless of course the selection process is skewed in favour of another gender.

I think @Patchoulifan makes a good point. Now that Lisa Schmeiser’s business has shifted a bit away from big-business clientele I notice a welcome slight shift in the rhetorical couchings she’s been voicing. I recently find her refreshingly unimpressed with much of tech’s facile triumphalism, something I can’t often say of Amy Webb these days (as much as I think she gets it in her private life). In what I’ve heard of hers over the past many months across several different podcasts, Schmeiser consistently offered critiques trenchantly framed by the most pressing big-picture concerns, which is exactly the type of thinking I appreciate most from TWiT. I did quite appreciate Lindsey Turrentine’s participation, as well, in TWiT #798.

Woman, dry behind the ears, good chemistry (will go toe-to-toe) with the boss.

1 Like

I would love to see Rosemary Orchard as a regular - she’s very sharp and knows her stuff

Rosemary’s great but if she’s a regular I gotta put it out there that I find her mic settings ear-splitting through weak speakers like my iPad and EarPods. Her audio is very clear but because of I think it’s the EQ she’s got going on it, having others loud enough to hear makes her speech physically painful for me to listen to. That’s honestly the main reason I haven’t subscribed to her other podcasts! Marco Arment is almost as piercing on ATP versus Siracusa’s muddy-mids voice and it’s a pretty major obstacle to my following along with the conversation, believe it or not. The admittedly relatively little I have heard from her does also, so far, leave me wondering whether or not she’s able to bring to bear the degree of perspective Schmeiser offers, but it seems to me she’d make for a perfectly good panelist, as well.

2 Likes

Interesting, I hadn’t noticed that

1 Like

I love it when Alex Lindsay is on

4 Likes

Just getting around to TWiT from this week and Ashley Esqueda’s having none of David Pogue’s infantile self-absorption was Spring rain on a techno-futurist’s wasteland. She was great her last few TWiT network appearances I caught, as well.

2 Likes

After Leo’s comment at the end of yesterday’s MBW, it may be a done deal to have Rosemary as a regular. Great choice.

3 Likes

That was certainly the impression I got, as well. No complaints here, just a plea to see about mellowing out the audio profile of her mic feed🙏

1 Like