4 Bay 3.5” SATA III HDD Non-RAID Enclosure doesn't recognize new drives– Supports USB 3.0 & eSATA Interface

I have a Syba SY-ENC50104 4 Bay 3.5” SATA III HDD Non-RAID Enclosure that is connected by USB to my laptop. I’ve never had a problem swapping out HDD or SSD and reading them.
I just bought two 10TB Amazon Renewed Arsenal DAS HDDs and neither is recognized when I put them into the enclosure…
First time this has ever happened…
Any thoughts on a fix?

What OS is running on the laptop? Is it Windows? If so, did you look in the disk manager to see if the drives show up there but need to be initialized?

Do the drives work when attached to a computer or in another enclosure?

Also, are the drives SATA or is it possible, you have been sent SAS drives?

I was thinking that, but I assumed that the physical connectors were different so didn’t mention it. (I have no experience with enterprise drives.)

Have you used drives that big before? Because Newegg says

Blockquote Supports up to four HDDs in a single unit with a capacity of up to 8TB per drive, providing an amazing solution for transporting data or backing up your system. Port-Multiplier(normal) mode- showing 4 HDDs respectively

https://www.newegg.com/syba-sy-enc50104-enclosure/p/N82E16817801144

The manufacturers website said 16TB… Maybe it needs a firmware update for larger drives?

That would certainly make sense. Or, more likely, judging from the quality of the user manual (which is quite poor IMHO) the company is also small and unable to provide long term support, and whatever ever firmware you got is what you’re stuck with. My experience with similar situations on stuff from small Chinese companies leads me to fully expect they update the hardware over time, and tweak the marketing and manuals, but don’t give a second though to any [legacy] product in the channel or already sold to users.

Never heard of Water Panther, sounds like they’re peicing disks together from whatever OEM parts they can find. Also not sure how I feel about “Amazon Renewed.”

Let me ask… do they feel correct? Just sayin… :joy: Walmart lists a 30TB portable SSD for $39. It is, naturally, a scam | Ars Technica

You can not plug a SAS drive into a SATA backplane. SAS has extra pins in that gap between the power and data pins you would see in a SATA drive. A SATA drive can plug into a SAS backplane though. If you seen both 2.0 and 3.0 micro USB, you can plug the 2.0 into a 3.0 slot, but not the other way around.

1 Like

Checked the SYSBA site, it’s up to 18TB, give them a call about a firmware update.
Try plugging only 1 drive in, the note below mentions the eSATA limitation. You’re USB, but worth a try.

:slight_smile: Syba SY-ENC50104 is a 4 Bay Enclosure for 3.5’ SATA I / II / III hard disk drives. It supports 4 HDD of different brands and a capacity of up to 18TB per drive. Note: The Motherboard’s SATA port MUST support Port Multiplier in order for your computer to recognize multiple hard drives if the unit is connected via eSATA. Dual eSATA and USB 3.0 external interface enable a blistering fast data transfer speed of up to 6Gbps and 5Gbps respectively.