$200-ish Camera for home office video updates

Can someone recommend a decent video (easy) video camera I can use in my home office for weekly team updates? In a remote covid world for the next few months, I was thinking about increasing my communications and creating weekly team updates. I know I can use my iPhone or Logitec webcam, but I hear very good things about external dedicated video cameras. Any recommendations in the $200 range. Simple and easy to use is also important since I am not an A/V guy.

1 Like

I presume you mean a point and shoot camera. I think $200 is not enough to bother with one over a web cam, but I am not an expert. Maybe check out PC Mag’s opinion: The Best Point-and-Shoot Cameras for 2023 | PCMag

For that budget I think maybe you want to investigate the Logitech BRIO Webcam with 4K Ultra HD Video & HDR .

Maybe this can help: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/explora/video/buying-guide/8-recommended-camcorders-and-cameras-vlogging

1 Like

Unless you are doing podcasting, a straight webcam is fine.
I’m using my Canon DSLR as a webcam, but only because I already had it.

1 Like

Just use a webcam. You’re doing meetings and your video doesn’t have to be stellar for a weekly meeting. If you don’t have an integrated webcam, I echo the suggestions from @PHolder.

4 Likes

There’s not a camera that would output to HDMI at that cost. I’d suggest Alex’s favourite webcam the Logitech Brio. It has really nice picture and a max resolution of 4K.

As someone who has done a ton of working from home this year, with multiple daily video calls for work; I echo what others have advised here in just using your existing webcam. You are probably better off investing in some cheap light panel/s to ensure your webcam doesn’t have to work as hard to get the correct exposure.

Furthermore, I would suggest the more important investment for video conferences is ensuring you have good audio; both having a decent microphone but also make sure you use a headset and not your computer speakers.

Personally I use a cheap ring light with my Logitech webcam, a Blue Yeti Nano USB mic and bluetooth headset for incoming audio. I also have a cheap wired USB headset in case there are issues with the bluetooth device (wired will always give better results, but the convinence of the bluetooth headset to move around and still listen to the conversation is hard to pass up)

2 Likes

I agree with @andrewmelder audio matters but I’d suggest getting the AT2020 it’s a little more expensive but it’s a better mic.

2 Likes

I cosign on this mic

Thank you very much for the coaching

1 Like