WW 813: Usage Intensity

Beep boop - this is a robot. A new show has been posted to TWiT…

What are your thoughts about today’s show? We’d love to hear from you!

I’m shocked Paul keeps scoffing at Slack’s contention that Teams is a watered down version of Slack. Sure, Teams had integrated all kinds of other Microsoft products that I don’t need in my chat client. But as a chat client, Slack is still 10x the experience of Teams. Amongst my colleagues and ex-coworkers who’ve used both, I don’t know anyone who prefers the Teams interface for actual chat. The reminders, the speed of the application, the custom emoji, the way it handles channels - all better in Slack. The one thing Teams has going for it? Most businesses get it free with their Microsoft licensing. I know that’s what drove us away from Slack and to Teams where I’ve worked. It certainly wasn’t feature superiority or a better UI or chat experience. I will concede that the “Zoom like features” of audio/video calls (to be fair, mostly borrowed by Zoom from Skype) are nice compared to Slack, and that is a distinct edge in the business world. But it’s one of very, very few areas where Microsoft did it better. Their edge comes from familiarity, not superiority.

3 Likes

I think that last part is why Paul scoffs at Slack’s case, most people live in Teams making video calls and meetings, with a side order of chat.

3 Likes

I second what @big_D stated. Anytime I’ve used Teams for a work related purpose we lived inside of Video chat. The only time I’ve used Teams as a chat was for about 3 weeks on a special call center project and it was where my team reached out to each other and myself for direct help.

2 Likes

Long time listener - first time commenter. Love this show! As a ‘Windows Professional,’ I rely on this show to keep me up to date on the latest developments with the OS.
Did anyone else think it was strange that Richard Campbell was formally made a co-host last week and this week he’s MIA? Kinda threw me, Leo will introduce the hosts, but after Paul’s intro, they moved right into topics: Mexico, Cats, and MS Earnings, without any mention of Richard …
Sincerely,
Perplexed

1 Like

As Emily Litella would say ‘Nevermind’. He did mention Richard’s absence right at the beginning of the show.

It was discussed in previous show(s) that he would be away. (Well I listen live, so it was definitely discussed, I can’t say whether that discussion actually made it into the published show.)

1 Like

Richard has a very active conference and speaking schedule so he’ll miss shows off and on. I’ll do a better job of explaining that next time. Sorry for the confusion.

3 Likes