WW 803: D++

Beep boop - this is a robot. A new show has been posted to TWiT…

What are your thoughts about today’s show? We’d love to hear from you!

Paul was right on about subscriptions. I have 7,233 MP3 tracks backed up to OneDrive. I buy maybe half a dozen new albums each year from my favorite artists. I cannot justify spending money on something like Spotify or Amazon Music. Instead, I have uploaded my music collection to a music locker service and play what I already own.

That said I do enjoy subscribing to SiriusXM. I can discover new music or listen to mixes of music that I don’t have in my collection.

Is there something special about a SiriusXM subscription compared to Spotify or Amazon Music?

Is there something special about a SiriusXM subscription compared to Spotify or Amazon Music?

SiriusXM is more like radio. Rather than creating playlists from the available catalog you choose the genre of music you want to listen to and enjoy. I find it useful for long car rides where scanning for radio stations would be a pain. I also discover lots of new artists to add to my MP3 collection through SXM channels.

Thanks for explaining, but I still don’t see how that is very different from other services “radio” feature.

Pandora is a music streaming and discovery app. It lets you create “stations” based on songs, artists, or genres that you like, which then play related songs. For each station, you can choose which songs you like or don’t like, which will cause Pandora to play more songs similar to the ones that you like.

Thanks for explaining, but I still don’t see how that is very different from other services “radio” feature.

SiriusXM is like FM radio in that you cannot customize the station based on your likes or dislikes. It doesn’t bother me though, because they have several stations I really like.