WW 773: Smells Like Alcantara

Beep boop - this is a robot. A new show has been posted to TWiT…

What are your thoughts about today’s show? We’d love to hear from you!

The only part that shocked me with this week’s show is that Leo didn’t buy a Windows PC. I know it’s his least favorite OS. However as much as he likes to purchase computers I thought for sure when I was listening it was gonna announce a purchase any second.

Anyways great show as always.

I really love the energy of this show. It’s like a tech version of Curb your enthusiasm with three main characters. The openhearted and well-founded, -informed, professional (but still oftentimes) smack talk is just that refreshing and even keeps me interested in Microsoft and Windows.

This Week in Google a few weeks ago made me cancel my TWiT subscription. Windows Weekly brought me back. It’s strange how a show on a subject I don’t even like is that magnetic. TWiG is, once again, more balanced. (I just need to skip shows w/o Stacey.)

PS: It is soo heartwarming that Paul gets more and more Linux-curious. :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Yes!

Now I want Mary Jo to go off like Susie the next time they bring up Apple or Xbox. Paul is 100% Larry David, and now that’s all I’m going to think of when I listen.

2 Likes

The click or touch right cornor of screen problem, Paul talk about I always thought it was something to do with notifications.
Have noticed this also happen when running app that had it own notifications that were turn on.

3 Likes

I’ve not seen that issue yet in the notification area, although I’m not on preview builds.

12th-gen Intel performance seems excellent for me so far. Mine has a ‘P’ processor too. Samsung has 4 performance modes, in the silent mode it can stutter a bit, but no issues otherwise.

Always wondered what these modes change (thermal profile?) You get 3 in the Windows battery settings, plus more from the laptop manufacturer usually.

1 Like

I had the taskbar stop responding (right hand side). I couldn’t click on the time/network/audio trio button (why are they one button now? How does that make any sense?). I couldn’t enable/disable the VPN… Then I found out that the Settings panel allows you to start and stop VPN again (after removing that in W10). That meant I could delay the restart until a more convenient time.

The shows with Ant & Stacy present I do agree feel to have a more balanced conversation. But I also understand where Jeff & Leo are coming from in bringing on guest visitors to the show when one of them is out. I also understand that most of the guest coming on are going to be friends or somewhat peers of Mr. Jarvis as most of them he’s networked with seems to have been through Journalism or through his academic’s. While I may often times do not agree with Mr. Jarvis’s point of view, he’s one of the reasons I keep coming back…I personally like to stretch my mind and here points of view that I don’t get in my rural conservative midwestern home.

I have my core beliefs around religion, that no one, even Leo whom is an Atheist will change. I won’t get into those because this isn’t the forum, but just putting it out there to remind everyone to keep your mind open on differing points, you might actually learn something or hear a point of view that makes you question something you thought you knew.

@JeffJarvis @gigastacey @ant_pruitt & @Leo I sincerely appreciate you.

2 Likes

THANK YOU, sir. Middle of the aisle guy right here. I appreciate that my beloved co-hosts don’t give me crap for being in the middle of the aisle. I learn a lot from them and have a lot of respect for them. Even if we disagree among each other. :fist_right:t5:

5 Likes

TLDR: Fully agreed. I just think that the “show’s architecture” easily breaks down (for me) if the positional balance of Stacey, Leo, and Jeff is not kept intact.

Thanks for your thoughts! Of course, you are right. I am likely guilty of being less accommodating to the amount of points I don’t agree with and the impetus, emphasis, and monotony in which they are brought forward when I am listening recreationally. To me, it’s almost a matter of mental stability not to listen to people who expressly and profusely push and push and push a perspective that seems problematic and harmful. That’s when I turn off and cancel a subscription.

Then, again, if a discussion turns out to be, again, well balanced and to look into multiple facets of an issue, I am interested again, lean back, enjoy, and uncancel my subscription.

Whenever Stacey is out, I’d really love to have a stand-in for her as proposed by her, from her neck of the woods. If it turns out to be Jeff and friends, not even Leo can tilt the balance back. Then, it’s just two people continuously patting each other on the back, pitching each other softballs, blowing kisses, and singing the same song for two hours straight. That’s when I lose my marbles. But it might just be me.

To me, TWiG is much more of a politics and society show than anything else, even though everyone loves to hate on political discussions and considers them off-topic. A politics show with one middle-of-the-road entrepreneurial type (my take: Leo), a considerate progressive (my take: Stacey), and someone I’d consider a tech-libertarian (my take: Jeff) works, much like a stool, if there are three legs. If one of those legs is missing and instead a second leg is taped to one of the remaining ones (essentially having two Jeffs), the stool falls over.

Sorry - too much rambling. Should have written this shorter. Will add a TLDR.

1 Like

Facebook’s “Metaverse” is kind of dystopian, but they’re not wrong about using cartoony avatars instead of trying in vain to achieve non-uncanny realism. I’m glad to finally hear the Uncanny Valley problem get acknowledged. This is something a guy named Jeffrey Ventrella figured out back in the 90s and 00s. Everyone who wants to design or understand virtual avatars of the 3D animated variety should be reading his stuff.