WW 713: Pot-Bellied Mastodons

We will agree to disagree. I think deaths are much more important than cases. NY’s COVID response was a failure – pure and simple and one of the worst in the nation. The numbers don’t lie.

BTW here is the unemployment rate by state – pretty clear. Unemployment Rates for States

Numbers I cited above were from entire pandemic

Apologies if I’m misinterpreting; just looking for clarification. Are you suggesting that Texas and Florida have lower per-capita death rates because they were less locked down? That seems to be what you’re saying. Is it possible that NJ and NY are locked down because they have higher per-capita death rates?

No. I am suggesting that the lockdowns are not worth the economic impact. Masks, however should be worn everywhere, but I am totally against forced business closures. That was my overall point.

Lockdowns do work though. With no lockdowns, the number of cases here in Australia would be far higher. Of course, you do have to do lockdown right and close the borders.

1 Like

Australia and New Zealand can easily control their borders. They are islands. Those comparisons against the US are ridiculous. Europe had strong lockdowns and the Portugal, Belgium, UK, and Italy all top the US in pre-capita deaths.

I don’t think it’s as simple as ‘lockdowns are bad’.

Lockdowns are an emergency response to high levels of community spread which leads to a high number of deaths, so to point at places that had to lockdown and say the high number of deaths is proof they don’t work is flawed IMO.

Probably better to look at recent stats (such as last 7 day averages) rather than cumulative totals since the start if you must compare states/countries. We’re all in a different place in our pandemics.

1 Like

Any country can control their international arrivals. Why haven’t they? Lockdowns are a short term pain. During the lockdowns in Australia, government provided extra assistance for those out of work and for businesses to stay in business. It has worked. There is no community spread in general and the virus has been contained to just the quarantine hotels. Last quarter of 2020, the economy has bounced back, so short term pain of lockdown enables the economy to bounce back.

Anyway, I’m not going to argue this in here.

1 Like

Not strictly true. The EU has free movement and there were protests from other countries when Germany closed its borders or put tight restrictions and checks on people entering and leaving.

True, but the lockdowns in Europe were much stronger than even in the biggest lockdown states like CA and NY. But again, Florida and other states in that area have far lower pre capita deaths than the lockdown states. The best the pro lockdown people can say is that they are even in some circumstances. That is not worth the big difference in unemployment rates state to state that are shown. Believe me, Florida is booming, and every time I see Time Square on CNBC, it looks like a ghost town.

If you consider it the vast majority of cross-border traffic is by air. Islands don’t actually have an advantage in lockdowns.

Oh and Florida’s per capita death rate was actually higher than California’s where we have had strict lockdowns.

Not by much, it’s very similar and there are many many lockdown states higher than Florida. Florida is #26. Right in the middle.

So then… maybe… there are other factors in play?

Anyway, you’ve made your point. Let’s stick to WW discussion.

1 Like

Ok, last comment and will return to windows. But, he had no answer