Worried for TWIG

Stacy is great
Wish she would not let Leo and Jeff talk over her too much

4 Likes

I agree, except I donā€™t think she intentionally lets them. My last job was entirely remote and I learned first hand the weird tricks video conferencing delays can play. You donā€™t really hear the delay, but it throws off normal conversation rhythm. I found myself trying to anticipate when someone was done speaking so I could jump in right after, otherwise Iā€™d never get a word in edgewise. If I misjudged, however, Iā€™d end up talking over someone, having to stop, and then apologize. Then you get this awkward standoff of ā€œgo aheadā€ ā€œno you first, sorry!ā€

I think Leoā€™s traffic light approach, where he jumps in and makes the call who should talk first has helped on other shows. Iā€™m behind on TWIG so Iā€™m not sure if itā€™s working there. After all this discussion I think itā€™s time I tune back in! :blush:

3 Likes

I very much appreciate @Leo playing traffic cop, and also how when someone has spoken in a while heā€™ll directly and smoothly ask them what they think about something. It is really hard to host and he makes it seem easy.

2 Likes

If I had my way, the speaker would have a mute button with a red light. Then no one gets walked on. too many times I miss the speakers point because some A-hole jumped in and starts talking because they know whats going to be said. Well holly jeepers Batman. I didnā€™t know.

2 Likes

Several topics going on in this thread over the last few days.

First, I used to watch about 4 TWiT podcasts each week but am now down to one: TWiG. Security Now is brilliant but I live in the Apple universe and most of it is Windows+Android. The ā€œAppleā€ shows, IoS Today and Mac Break, are too elementary. As I do not use any Google products youā€™d think I would have no interest in TWiG and indeed I skip the Google bits but Jeff and Stacy are too interesting and too full of good, new ideas to miss.

Second, I agree that we should hear more from Stacy. Everyone knows, and Leo admits, that he interrupts too much and talks over people. With studio guests this can be moderated but Iā€™m not sure how it can be countered when guests are remote. Father Robert really should get on and build the promised device that delivers a (gentle) punch to Leo when Stacy presses a button.

Third, I find the discussions of journalism, freedom of speech, Section 230, etc. most interesting. For the most part I find Jeffā€™s approach too idealistic. Further, I find that he is too ready to promote ends over means, for example in his attitudes to privacy. However, I have no complaints about his politics or endorsements. On my native planet (England) heā€™d be considered middle of the road. And donā€™t get me started on his naivety about the evils of Facebook.

Finally, Ant Pruitt is a most welcome addition to the team. He brings a distinct perspective, a sly sense of humor, and a valuable ā€œhands onā€ approach.

4 Likes

The ā€œAppleā€ shows, IoS Today and Mac Break, are too elementary.

Thereā€™s more to the iOS coverage - Hands On iOS.

1 Like

WOW. THANK YOU. Iā€™ve never had the term sly mentioned in the same breath with my name. Lol! I appreciate the support :fist_right:t5:

4 Likes

Iā€™ll look at Hands on iOS, thanks MacPhyle. Mr. Sargent knows his business.

2 Likes

After listening for many years, Iā€™ve now unsubscribed, with regret.

I like Jeff, and have learned from him, but he pretty much needs his own show, about journalism / ethics / free speech.

I like Stacey, but she should be on the ā€œsmart techā€ show instead.

If they add an actual Googler to the mix (like Gina was), and talk about Google, oh and shorten it to an hourā€¦ Iā€™ll be back.

What Google bits?? They seldom have any these daysā€¦
The show is basically this week in left wing ideology from Jeff, this week in interesting stuff from Stacy and Ant and this week in Leo trying to give Stacy air time over Jeff!! :joy:

2 Likes

Lets be honest there hasnā€™t been much google news lately
Also they admit the title is a little misleading
Leo often refers to the google verse including all sorts of internet thing
Because you can only talk about google cancelling all you favourite stuff so much :joy::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::joy::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::joy::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::joy::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

4 Likes

Is that Sly and the family Pruitt??? :joy:

1 Like

I skip the talk of Android, Pixels, and the Changelog. I watch because I enjoy the discussions about how information and disinformation should be handled on the web, and all of Stacyā€™s technical advice, explanations, and recommendations.

1 Like

@Leo what about a model where thereā€™s both an option to contribute monthly (maybe with fewer ads and other perks) and an option to sub free like the current setup.

Here are a couple of Patreon supported podcast networks and YouTube channel that are moderately big (i doubt the size of TWiT):

• TrekFM (a star trek podcast network that has about 10 shows and has been running for about 10 years ago Iā€™m pretty sure that the Founder of the network has even referred to being a TWiT listener).
  • TrekGeeks (another Star Trek podcast network definitely smaller than TWiT but expanding).
  • TMRO (a YouTube channel that focuses space stuff they are completely audience supported but have a huge fancy almost TWiT like studio)
  • SciShow (a few YouTube channels that focus on science they are both audience supported and take ads)

Iā€™d love a journalism/ethics/social media show with Jeff, Leo and someone to balance out Jeff. I can empathize with Google fans who feel starved for content.

3 Likes

Iā€™d rather have tech shows on This Week in Tech network!!

I agree 100%
They do their best
Its all we can ask for
:blush::blush::blush:

I hear ya, but ā€œtechā€ has insinuated itself into everything these days. If Jeff had his own show instead of being under the TWiG banner then perhaps youā€™d get more of the tech talk youā€™re looking for in TWiG and you could skip Jeffā€™s show.

2 Likes

I like this show because itā€™s more philosophically based than other shows on the network. I realize they donā€™t talk much about Google products/services per say, but sadly, the days of marveling over a device bringing amazing new advances, or a tech company creating programs that appeal to nearly every consumer are few & far between.

So unless you want to hear business updates (Apple Card, Epic vs Apple, or how much Tim Cook makes a year), you have to widen the scope of topics, & talk about their effects on society. Just my 2centsā€¦

3 Likes

TWIG is what brought me to TWIT. Itā€™s never let me down. The TWIT network needs a variety show and this is it. The only suggestion I would make is to have a place on the TWIT community where we can submit ideas for the changelog, like ScooterX was doing in a recent episode. Might make people feel more engaged.

4 Likes