Worried for TWIG

I am one that only watches live, if I download a show it is forgotten by the time I get the time to watch the episode. And, the news and stories are out of date by then. I’ve been watching TWIT shows since the early Cottage days. If I pull out an old HDD, I will find a show I downloaded ( on a Dial-Up connection, 56 kbps ) and never got time to watch. It took all night to download, so I could watch it with out all the buffering every five seconds.

1 Like

The shows are all late at night/early hours of the morning, so I wait for them to come through the next morning. They are usually there when I wake up at 05:30.

2 Likes

The open source mapping project has a voluntary subscription option.
It is used to fund operations and to pay some folks to go and improve maps

Thank you for supporting OsmAnd Live!

All donations are distributed between registered recipients according to their ranking based on the number of changes done in selected region.
Half of donations is distributed between all OSM editors and displayed for the “Worldwide region”.
The other half is distributed between OSM editors of specific regions which are selected as “Preferred region” by supporters.

I found that until recently when i uninstalled it i liked that i didn’t have to see any ADs on all the apps i have paid for. Some podcasts have a subscribe to the feed option for Ad-free episodes.
I don’t know how effective that would be for the variety of Twit shows because of how the Ads are organically inserted :wink: .

In WI where I live i got so fed up with folks coming around to as for pledges in person each year even though we have a yearly subscription.

What i like about the OSM solution is i can turn it on and off any time i want and not get a flood of messages or emails about my subscriptions except to let me know each time i get charged for it through google pay.

Perhaps the option for donating subscribers to be able to decide how much to donate each year (instead of monthly so that TWIT can project their income yearly) would be a bit more helpful?
Cheers.

1 Like

it its the end of the quarter for advertisers it does get sparse aorund this time for the shows

1 Like

Never ever, ever get rid of Jeff. I may not agree with his politics but he definitely bring something to the show that I enjoy.

8 Likes

For the amount of enjoyment I get out of TWiT, $40 a year would be a bargain. I’d definitely sign up at that price point.

5 Likes

@Leo looks like if advertising goes south you have people ready to give 40$ a year.
Just food for thought
And on a side note the panel is what makes the show don’t change a thing :grinning::grinning::grinning:

3 Likes

I would gladly give $40 a year or even more for all the content that we get on here. Sounds like a complete bargain to me!

1 Like

And with 5% subscribed at $40 per year, plus the advertising money, maybe @Leo could buy the new Mac Pro fully decked out and put on some more fun episodes. Bet @ant_pruitt and Alex Lindsay could co-host some amazing demos.

3 Likes

All this talk of TWiG makes me miss Gina Trapani. :cry:

I love the current line up, don’t get me wrong, it just that I have such fond memories of her from TWiG…

Please, don’t ever cancel this show! I’d also gladly pay a yearly subscription…so, if you’re keeping tally…

7 Likes

I trust Leo when he says not to worry. This is one of the podcasts I enjoy listening to as well. When some of the people say they would pay $40 a year to listen to it that’s fine, but what about the folks that listen to 4-5 shows? Are they going to pay $200 a year for them? I think that would be a tough sell. People complain about $130 a year for Netflix, $84 for Disney Plus which has a lot more content. I have not put any money into the tip jar, but I can say that I sleep on Boll and Branch sheets, shave with Harry’s, use Lastpass, have pictures from Fracture hanging in my place, wear Bombas socks. I try to support TWIT in this way. Lets keep TWIT going!

I took it as $40 annual subscription to TWiT.tv

4 Likes

I think thats what @Leo said 40$ annually for the network

2 Likes

That’s what I was intending. I sure wouldn’t be able to pay hundreds, but sub-$100 annually for the network I can do.

1 Like

First, I have to say TWIG is my favorite show, followed closely by Mac Break Weekly. Both shows rely heavily on the opinions of the participants with regard to the impact of tech on our lives. I enjoy the current TWIG panel, each of whom have strong feelings about the direction of tech.

Honestly, as there are less groundbreaking advances in what computers or smartphones can do, I see many tech shows from other outlets either fail or struggle to find topics to discuss. Face it, ear buds just aren’t that exciting as a topic.So a show like TWIG that features commentary about advances in tech AND how it affects society is a refreshing change to the same old same old.

The drawback is how to find sponsors that believe this kind of philosophical show would draw the kind of listeners that would appreciate their products or services.

Lots of businesses suffer a slowdown in the first few months of a new year. I’m sure advertisers are aware that consumers are drained from the holidays, which may play into the slowdown of $$ spent on advertising at this time. I’m just shooting from the hip on this though.

Leo’s been doing this a long time. I trust he’ll figure it all out. After all, there are vacations to take! :wink::sunglasses::airplane:

4 Likes

Hey they had a sponsor this week!
Good news
Too bad its a US based sponsor I can’t support😔

3 Likes

I would pay $3.33 per month, even more for TWiT/TWiG.

2 Likes

If Jeff stops endorsing losing candidates, maybe you guys will start getting sponsors.

2 Likes

Honestly, I feel like Stacy’s expertise is underutilized in the show. I also find Jeff’s intransigence stressful sometimes. That said, I think some very important conversations happen on TWIG and I think Jeff is very smart and makes good points. I’m not entirely sure why I find the debates on TWIG more uncomfortable than on other shows. It’s probably a personal thing :sweat_smile:

I know I’d tune in weekly for Stacy describing new chip architecture though! I’m sure you could find at least 50 other listeners for Hands on Chips! :grin:

8 Likes

Always fascinating to hear her discuss spectrum

7 Likes