Windows 10 home PC can't see other PCs on the network

No, I don’t think so. I don’t have IPv6 configured. I think I installed an additional network manager by mistake and got host names assigned. It’s a Mac Mini running Ubuntu with just a text interface. Haven’t been bothered to try and sort it out in case I mess it up as booting up via the flaky optical drive to reinstall is a bit hit and miss.

EDIT: Okay, had a look. Aparently, Ubuntu nowadays broadcasts availability of server on the network. I had set up Samba manually too, so appears twice on network. Removed one method and only shows once now :slight_smile:

Maybe the original poster should do use the Network Reset feature and then configure per instructions in this thread.

I guess its better then none…

I am hoping not to do that…

It’s probably the best thing to do though. It’s not that complicated, what’s the concern?

Windows will default to assuming you’re on a Public network. This will configure the firewall rules as if you were in a public place like a coffee shop on public WiFi. You don’t want this on a properly configure home network. Make sure that all the PCs think they’re on a Private network (remembering to reboot any PC you need to change network settings.)

Assuming they all think that they’re on the same network, then you should confirm they think they’re all in the same Workgroup. Windows will apply a default Workgroup, but I prefer to make sure I set it to something I control. In my case, I use “Home”, short and sweet and easy to type. While you’re in the dialog that has these settings, also check the length of PC name. The length of the PC names will also impact their discoverability, so make them on the short side (I think less than 16 chars.) (Again, you’ll need to reboot with any changes.)

On each PC, on the CMD line, get it’s current IP address with the ipconfig command. From the same command line, ping the other PCs via their IP address. If this fails, you have significant networking or firewall issues that need to be investigated before any other troubleshooting.

Assuming the pings succeed, then move on to pinging by machine name. This will see if the network can resolve the machine name to its IP address. If this fails, then you have an avenue of investigation.

If the pings by machine name succeed, then I suspect you have some issue related to configuration on the PCs. For example file sharing is not properly enabled.

2 Likes

It’s probably the best thing to do though. It’s not that complicated, what’s the concern?

Their are other people in the house that use the networked printer, I am afraid that if I re set the network I will not be able to get the printer back on the network.

File sharing is property enabled, I think its a firewall issue at this point.

I found the problem, the Windows PC that can’t see the other PCs on the network is running Nod 32, the other PCs are running windows defender. If I pause Nod 32’s firewall I can see the other PCs… I am glad that it does not block the shared printer…

1 Like

Glad you got it working. My advice, get rid of NOD32.

1 Like

If I do not have any virus problems between now and when I renew in May I will…

Windows 10 has antivirus and firewall built in so there is really no need for anything else.

2 Likes

Yes, I haven’t used anything else at home for over a decade.

At work we use Kaspersky, but that is purely for its central management, central alers and management of PCs - we can roll out 3rd party patches, Registry updates, block individual applications from starting etc. (foir example, we use it to stop Microsoft Teams from automatically installing on every PC, even though it is disabled in the Office 365 management console, it is disabled for each employee and it is disabled in the Office 365 install manifest, Microsoft still try and start Teams or the installer, every time the user logs on).

1 Like

@waxman80014 as the others said ( @Pommster and @big_D) the windows defender not only does a better ever since Microsoft decided to speed up the release of signatures but also as it better integrated into the OS, 3rd party detection tools put a strain on system resources and cause problems with the network as you’ve seen for yourself.
Ever since i got rid of them from all my systems at home and at offices i manage I have experienced fewer issues. I’ve been using the AV renewal to buy upgrades for machines to keep the machines updated instead so they have a lot of RAM to reduce improve scanning for threats but mostly to keep the OS running smoothly.
Cheers.