Why do so many Mac app require an OS update to implement fixes?

This is one thing that has hindered my interest in buying a Mac (or even an iOS device). It seems that whenever an update is needed for an app like iMessage or iMovie or Safari or anything that is installed by default by Apple with the operating system - any fixes to those apps require an entire update of the operating system.

Coming from the Windows ecosystem - Microsoft has been moving in the opposite direction, decoupling apps from the OS so that they can be updated independently. This let them get fixes or updates out rather quickly and seems far less invasive than an entire OS update.

Is there a technical reason for why Apple does it this way? My cynical side says that it’s because they consider every app an extension of the OS and they so tightly tied the apps to the OS (like Microsoft did with Internet Explorer in Windows 95) that they can’t update one without the other. But that’s my bias here showing and I hope I’m wrong.

1 Like

I’m not a Mac user, and I can’t actually answer the question why it is the way it is. But this seems like a fairly weak reason to not use Mac OS (or iOS). Are Mac OS updates really onerous? How do they compare to the monthly patches and now bi-annual updates on the Windows side? On the mobile side, I never found the update process particularly painful for iOS, Android, or Windows Phone (once the carrier passed them through for the latter two). Devices just update overnight or while I’m doing something else, and hey presto, fixes and features appear. If there is some critical fix needed for say iMessage, Apple will roll out a patch; they seem to do this a few times a year for various reasons.

And why would it be “cynical” to think apps like iMessage or iMovie might be so tightly integrated with the OS that they have to be updated at the same time? One of Apple’s biggest selling points is tight integration of hardware, software, and now services; that’s like… they’re thing. Would it be nice if iMessage or whatever app got new features more regularly? I guess? But those app updates and enhancements are often part of the sales story for the new OS itself, and help drive adoption— which is probably good for everyone. Also, those OS updates are free; so it’s not like Apple is withholding app updates in an attempt to make users pay for the OS.

I guess I’m just struggling a little to see what the “problem” is.

1 Like

It’s not the main barrier for me, but it is something I have questions about. The main barrier for me (aside from liking Windows) is the costs of switching. But I have been looking at perhaps a Macbook as a secondary device - and am thinking that there may be a surplus of M1s on the market as pro upgrade to the newer models, which could enable the possibility of getting one at a lower cost than Apple typically charges.

That said - I’m looking at the things I have issues or concerns with and am trying to address them. So while this isn’t necessarily a deal breaker for me, it is a question I’d like to have some answer for.

The patches and updates for Windows bother me less because I have a set routine for them. As any MacBook I purchase would likely be used less frequently, I anticipate finding myself in the position where I would have to install a number of updates when I turn it on. As OS updates typically involve a greater amount of time than individual apps that are updated on an as-needed basis, this is partly a concern for me.

Again - it’s not a deal-breaker. I tend to understand how Microsoft operates with respect to updates. I’m just trying to reach the same level of understanding with Apple.

1 Like

It seems like this is a dead thread. Thanks @ChrisKez for responding.