What GPU should I use in the system I'm building

Yes

Yes

Don’t know

Don’t think so

No

Where do the insulating washers go? On the standoffs or the screws in the standoffs? Also, which side of the cage do the front fans go on?

@knewman

Actually I think most of the holes in the motherboard are surrounded with solder to make sure they ground to the case. (They use the case, which is assumed to be metal, but isn’t always, as a ground. (I presume, but don’t know, if that means the PSU also grounds the case… good question actually.) In any case, I’ve never, ever done anything but put the MOBO in the case and screw it down.

1 Like

@SamGreenwood I’m out of ideas of what could have gone wrong. It’s not supposed to be super complicated to do a DIY PC, it’s just very detail oriented. If nothing else comes to mind, my final suggestion is to get some professional help, or to fully disassemble, review all the installation instructions, and start over reassembling it and hope that catches/resolves the problem.

Yea I think the last time I used insulating washers in a build was ~7 years ago. Figured I’d mention anyway, just throwin everything against the wall to see what sticks.

@SamGreenwood the last time I had a case that came with washers, they were meant to go on the motherboard underneath the mounting screwhead. the fans can technically go on either side, space permitting. they should have airflow indicators so you can tell if you’ll be exhausting or intaking air.

@knewman the case has a piece of frame between the front panel and the rest of the case I was wondering which side of that the fans go on.

Your best bet is to check the documentation for the case; I’m not familiar with this one. But really it shouldn’t matter as long as there’s enough space and you’re able to route the leads.

@knewman is correct, it should not matter as long as you can route the leads, different cases have different designs.
Though I would put it inside the case itself because most likely that front cover has filter material in it and it will put a lot of strain on the fan that close to it.

1 Like

Please give this video a watch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbGomv195sk . You need to be careful how you mount your all-in-one cooler. In particular you need to either put it on the top of the case (when sitting upright) or with the hoses at the bottom if mounting it to the front (when the case is sitting upright.)

As for airflow, you should pull (suck) air in from the front and push (blow) air our the back or top. If the AIO cooler is on the front, it technically will heat the air you’re blowing into the case, but I don’t think that’s a deal breaker. Perhaps more ideal is to mount the fans on top of the AIO cooler and suck the air through it and out the top of the case. You possibly would add a fan or two on location you don’t use for the AIO cooler to help increase airflow.

It’s not an AIO it’s just fans. There’s nothing in the manual I found this fan setup on Reddit all it had was the positioning no instructions on it installation.

Did you install the stand offs?

It was on the standoffs.

I’m referring to the Motherboard standoffs in the case. if you forgot it would short out.

I’ve now tested it outside the case and it still wouldn’t turn on.

recheck your pin out

I tested it with an external power button that I bought from Amazon. The plug snapped in properly. At this point I think that it’s a short or a problem with either the pinout or pins 4 and 5 on the ATX connector on the board.

Has the MOBO EVER powered on? Like was it working and it stopped or it has never been known to work?

It never powered on.

Its very possible that you got a dead board. it does happen quite often.

Went back to the computer store today thru tested everything and it ended up being being that the CPU had some bent pins.

Oh dear. Yes, you have to be SUPER CAREFUL with CPU pins. Did you get them straightened and get it working?

1 Like