VPN on and internet speed slows down a lot

When I enable VPN the internet speed sometimes drop from 300 mbps to 30 mbps. I can fix it by disabling and enable VPN. Is this the normal way to fix this kind of speed problem?

Need more details. Which device, which OS, which VPN. Are you always using the same VPN gateway, or does your software “randomly” choose one for you. Some gateways are further away (in other countries) and thus will naturally be slower. If it switches a gateway when you shut it down/restart it, that might explain the change. Even if it uses the same gateway all the time, it may not use the exact same sever at the gateway every time–it might also be that your VPN provider is over-subscribed, and some gateways are too busy. Disconnecting/reconnecting is likely changing enough variables that you notice the difference. There is also the possibility that your ISP knows you’re going to a VPN based on the IP address (but has an incomplete list of IP’s) and has some malicious policy to slow down your traffic to the VPN for its own internal [marketing] reasons.

Windows 10 and VPN tries to choose the optimal protocol and server. Since I am in California, it Usually it chooses a server in Los Angeles. When the connection is really slow I stop and restart the VPN and then the speed problem is fixed most of the time. I just trying to figure out if there is a more consistent way to have normal speed. I am using Keepsolid VPN Unlimited. I have contacted their tech support and sent them logs.

Can you keep a log of which of their servers give poor or good performance, and then pick the fastest ones rather than let the VPN software choose for you?

Read a review of Keepsolid last night, it was recommended, but they did raise issues with latency (not speed) when used with Windows.

I will wait for reply from Tech Support and see what they recommend.

VPN, by nature, is going to add latency to your connection. Just because you have a fast connection at home doesn’t mean the VPN server does, plus it has to share that speed with other users.

I still, personally, don’t understand the need for a VPN from home unless you are connecting to a corporate backend, or trying to bypass a geoblock for streaming services (which even then I think is questionable).

2 Likes

I see a VPN as an extra layer of security especially when connecting to financial web sites.

In my opinion this is security theatre.

If your bank is a real financial institution then its web site will use HTTPS and thus is as well secured or better than your VPN. Using the VPN is probably causing the bank to think you travel a lot, and thus they are likely to disable any flagging of your account being accessed from somewhere unusual, which is thus potentially disabling an extra layer of security.

The risk to you is that you get phished or get malware on your PC. The VPN does nothing to prevent these problems.

3 Likes

Agreed. All the VPN does is routes the traffic through another endpoint. If anything, I personally think for financial sites it actually is less secure than going direct.

300 mbps to 30 mbps. I never saw any VPN slow internet down that much; I’m clueless.