TWIT+ with Apple Sound Stage?

I’ve had this happen a couple of times now, with HOM and the TWIT+ MBW and Fireside chats. I’ll be walking the dog, wearing my Apple AirPods Pro and when I turn my head to look to see if somebody is coming up behind me (we have a shared sidewalk and cycle lane at the end of the road), suddenly the voices start hopping around my head, keeping themselves in front of me, the voices moving from balanced between my ears to suddenly coming out of the left or right ear, turn my head back ahead and it returns to central.

It is an interesting effect, is TWiT testing this or is it accidental? I notice that it is mainly on Apple related content, with the exception of the fireside chats.

(This isn’t a complaint, just an interesting observation.)

1 Like

Sounds like Apple automatically enabling spatial audio on your podcast app for some reason. Would be good to know if there are any flags the TWiT team are using to enable that or if it’s an all Apple thing.

Personally hate Spatial audio so I manually disable it everytime.

But only on these few podcasts?

TWiT, TWiG, MacBreak Weekly, Security Now, Windows Weekly, iOS Today all play normally as do 90% of the TWIT+ extras, without the soundstage effect, so it is something that is special to some of the TWIT+ channels.

Yeah that’s a little odd, but then again I don’t know what the trigger is at an OS level to turn it on. I had it randomly on a LinkedIn live event yesterday.

To my knowledge, nothing is done by our editors for a spatial effect

1 Like