TWIT 965: Baby's First Layoff

Beep boop - this is a robot. A new show has been posted to TWiT…

What are your thoughts about today’s show? We’d love to hear from you!

1 Like

I think we can all agree that critical thinking and the ability to access information is a good thing and should be preserved but do you not think some ways of thinking would be harmful in the long-term? Similarly, there are some things that children just aren’t ready for until they’re older.
I understand why remote working might be a benefit. You save on the commute time and costs and, for those with kids, I can see why people resist going back to the office but isn’t it beneficial for your mental health to go into the office? If let’s say, you have a one room apartment then separating your work and home life can be good for your mental wellbeing.

Wow fun ending. For those who wonder, we don’t have a generator that can keep everything working. It’s prohibitively expensive. The power was pretty reliable until the last few months. Maybe we should look into it! At least the show was pretty much done before everything blacked out!

3 Likes

Did you really lose power? I’d have thought you’d have lost the whole lot if that’s the case, or does the Tricaster have a battery backup?

Leo (and others I think) said on the Discord that there is enough UPS power for an orderly shutdown… but not enough to run/record a show.

I was watching the live feed and it was a very abrupt fade to black.

1 Like

Ah ok, I did wonder.

Yes, there is a huge difference between a meaty UPS that will hold power for a whole facility to shut down cleanly and a diesel generator that can provide ongoing power, also a huge price differential - in purchasing and maintenance.

The batteries need replacing every few years.

The diesel generator needs regular maintenance, needs to be fired up regularly and it needs a large supply of diesel, which needs to be kept topped up - evaporation, plus what is used during tests. I know of a couple of companies that never checked their tanks and when they did have an emergency, the several hundred gallon tanks were almost empty, because they had been regularly tested for 10 years, but nobody had ever thought to refill the tanks, so after a few minutes, they conked out!

1 Like

Sounds like Lisa made the right call not to drive. Just reading the news reports here about the rain storms :grimacing:

I wasn’t as dismissive of Casey Neistat’s video as the panel. Yes the thumbnail of the skateboard was for clicks, but he was using spatial computing where it makes more sense IMO, when you are out.

I see no point in the current product as you have a much more powerful computer, and multiple displays at your fingertips in your office or home.

One thing I thought was interesting was how it errors if the environment around you isn’t stable enough. It struggled to lock on in the subway for example, as the subway car moved around too much.

2 Likes

I wonder if Steve Gibson’s SpinRite is any good for keeping floppy disks in usable condition for longer? Might get some purchases from Japan if so.

I appreciated Casey’s video as well. I wondered if the airplane/travel mode might have allowed him to use it on the subway. Ten years ago @Leo would have been wearing Vision Pro while riding a Segway. :joy:

2 Likes

Lisa Schmeiser raised a point in this show about parenting influencers (“momfluencers”) and their interaction with child labor laws. The PBS Newshour did a story tonight on Illinois’s new law in that domain, and mentioned that half a dozen other states are considering similar legislation.

2 Likes